Inferno Gold pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jigger

Burning Hunk
Jan 1, 2014
Wareham,Ma.
Most of the season I've been going to TSC get my pellets for my stove. But this last load I went to Lowes to pickup an order. So being there I decided to grab a load of pellets from there. They had the Green Team and Inferno Gold. I like burning soft wood if I can fined it. So I brought home a bunch and started to burn them. I clean out my stove once a week if it needs it or not.I run an Englander 25 PDVC so scooping out the burn pot daily is a normal. Today I shut the stove down and started to vacuum the stove out. The hose kept getting clogged with hard lumps. After several attempts and having to take the hose off to get the clog out. I put my hand in and started pulling large lumps of what appeared to be molten sand. The lumps are so hard you can not break them with a single hand. I've been burning for over 10 years and have never run into anything like this before. A lot of times I get heavy ash but you can vacuum that up. This stuff you can not.

Clinkers!

Wood, being a natural product, may contain impurities. When wood is pelletized for use in pellet-burning stoves, those impurities can result in "clinkers." A clinker is a particle that isn't burned during the normal combustion process. It looks like a chunk of ash, but when exposed to air, such as when you open the stove to clean out the ash, the clinker can re-ignite. Clinkers can also form when minerals in the ash fuse together or when dirt is introduced into the combustion chamber.

Reactions: Harmanizer
I think the different brands can have bad/contaminated runs as well. I have been burning the same brand and this week the clinkers/buildup was way worse than normal. Settings have been the same... also noticed the ash did not wipe off the glass as easy this week

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I’ve had the same experience with Inferno Golds. I’ve only burned them in my 25-PDV in my finished basement, they do much better in that compared to my CB1200 which created large clinkers.

Interesting tidbit is that they’re distributed by International Forest Products, LLC which is a subsidiary of The Kraft Group, whose president is Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots.

Inferno Gold are sold around here by a supermarket chain, BigY. I wanted to try them earlier in the season but they ran out. People had good things to say about them. Maybe a quality control issue.

My Harman loves those Inferno Golds. No issues with clinkers in my stove.

Inferno Gold are sold around here by a supermarket chain, BigY. I wanted to try them earlier in the season but they ran out. People had good things to say about them. Maybe a quality control issue.

I have had very good results with the ton of inferno gold I purchased last spring at Big Y. I was hoping to purchase another ton this spring but they ran out early this winter and now have a different brand hardwood pellet. I only do softwood.

Reactions: jackhammer