Inflation explanation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There will be no political forums on this site. There are plenty of other places for that type of discussion. Years ago the site had the Ash Can which was a no holds barred, open discussion forum. That eventually got too political and factional and was discontinued. My apologies if the posting sounded political. It was primarily to show that what was speculation last year has now been born out by the facts showing up in corporate earnings reports. Inflation in the wood stove world has been a frequent topic this last season.

I guess I'll go "loosen up."
As noted, no one is forcing you to read a given post, follow a given thread, etc. As much as begreen and I differ, and sometimes even argue our opposing view points, I really value hearing them. Democracy can't be built on thin-skinned individuals afraid to hear and consider points contrary to their initial assumptions or conclusions, whether taken into consideration to change one's own beliefs, or simply as a demonstration of how misguided the other side is ;lol.

It's also worth pointing out there's an "Ignore" function available on this forum, where you can ignore all posts by a given user. It works very well, I've used it on two or three users in 12 years here, but never for any reason as shallow as perceived differences in political ideals.

Reactions: bogieb and SpaceBus
As noted, no one is forcing you to read a given post, follow a given thread, etc. As much as begreen and I differ, and sometimes even argue our opposing view points, I really value hearing them. Democracy can't be built on thin-skinned individuals afraid to hear and consider points contrary to their initial assumptions or conclusions, whether taken into consideration to change one's own beliefs, or simply as a demonstration of how misguided the other side is ;lol.

It's also worth pointing out there's an "Ignore" function available on this forum, where you can ignore all posts by a given user. It works very well, I've used it on two or three users in 12 years here, but never for any reason as shallow as perceived differences in political ideals.
It's a matter of not wanting to see political bias everywhere. I'm certainly not going to ignore begreen, just giving those of us that need a break from politics, a chance to get one.

Reactions: Ashful
lol, ignoring begreen. At the very least on this website (which is as far as my "knowledge of him" goes) that'd be a (putting it mildly) rather strange step to take :)

Reactions: StoveInNH
My kids can do so too - even while hearing me (i.e. not being able to escape "notifications").

Reactions: begreen and bholler
I mean if you see a post that you think is political you could always just not click on it

Reactions: SpaceBus and bogieb
I mean if you see a post that you think is political you could always just not click on it
If one only wants to read woodstove postings then the easiest thing is to just read postings in the main hearth and classics forums.

If one only wants to read woodstove postings then the easiest thing is to just read postings in the main hearth and classics forums.

Yes, that would be easiest.
For you.

I'd prefer to see other discussions, as well. But not political ones, of which the original post is.

But I think we all know that by now. :)

Reactions: clancey
Yes, that would be easiest.
For you.

I'd prefer to see other discussions, as well. But not political ones, of which the original post is.

But I think we all know that by now. :)
Im sorry but the original post was clearly saying the issue with inflation isn't political. So I really don't see where your argument comes from that it is. And besides if you look at the issue objectively the issues with inflation started under the previous administration and continued under this one. So it obviously isn't a political issue or atleast not one based upon party no matter how much the 2 sides want to blame each other.

Reactions: bogieb and begreen
Im sorry but the original post was clearly saying the issue with inflation isn't political. So I really don't see where your argument comes from that it is. And besides if you look at the issue objectively the issues with inflation started under the previous administration and continued under this one. So it obviously isn't a political issue or atleast not one based upon party no matter how much the 2 sides want to blame each other.
My argument is that it indeed was a political post.

And I won't be knocked off that argument. :). However, I respect your right to disagree.

My argument is that it indeed was a political post.

And I won't be knocked off that argument. :). However, I respect your right to disagree.
Oh I absolutely respect your right to disagree as well. I just don't see where you are seeing a political motivation

Oh I absolutely respect your right to disagree as well. I just don't see where you are seeing a political motivation
We're on the same page. :)

To answer your question, this statement from begreen is a tell:

"In other words, corporate greed is driving inflation and we are all paying the price."

You and I may disagree, but that IS a politically motivated line.

In my most humble opinion, the moderator function would be best used by removing that type of post.

I understand however that I'm in the minority here. Not my first time . . . :)

We're on the same page. :)

To answer your question, this statement from begreen is a tell:

"In other words, corporate greed is driving inflation and we are all paying the price."

You and I may disagree, but that IS a politically motivated line.

In my most humble opinion, the moderator function would be best used by removing that type of post.

I understand however that I'm in the minority here. Not my first time . . . :)
But how is that political? Both sides allow corporations pretty free reign. To me that is more of a societal issue not a political one

But how is that political? Both sides allow corporations pretty free reign. To me that is more of a societal issue not a political one
Because he is trying to convince people of his poltical side of the aisle. His last sentence, his "summary" of an article that most can't read because it's beyond a paywall is a statement about politics, without saying it.

Which on face value I don't have a problem with.

My only point, since the beginning, is that I would rather not see these types of political posts in the New Post feed.

Channeling my inner Godsmack: I . . . . stand alone! ;)

Corporate greed and control have been growing for decades. It is not a political issue per se except that money can buy politicians. This affects all of us, regardless of political affiliation.

PS: I read the article and for some reason I wasn't paywalled, though I am not a subscriber. Maybe there is already a WSJ cookie on the system? I'll see if it is posted elsewhere.

Corporate greed and control have been growing for decades. It is not a political issue per se except that money can buy politicians. This affects all of us, regardless of political affiliation.

PS: I read the article and for some reason I wasn't paywalled, though I am not a subscriber. Maybe there is already a WSJ cookie on the system? I'll see if it is posted elsewhere.
I wouldn't mind reading the article - if you find a free version, lmk.

"Corporate greed and control have been growing for decades."

Some would argue government greed and control have been growing for decades. You can see how this is political, can't you?

Because he is trying to convince people of his poltical side of the aisle. His last sentence, his "summary" of an article that most can't read because it's beyond a paywall is a statement about politics, without saying it.

Which on face value I don't have a problem with.

My only point, since the beginning, is that I would rather not see these types of political posts in the New Post feed.

Channeling my inner Godsmack: I . . . . stand alone! ;)
But again it's not about politics. It's about corporate greed.

I wouldn't mind reading the article - if you find a free version, lmk.

"Corporate greed and control have been growing for decades."

Some would argue government greed and control have been growing for decades. You can see how this is political, can't you?
Yes if his post was about government greed it would be political without question. But it wasn't

I admire the consistently polite persistence here. On both sides.
:)

They may only allow 1-3? free reads. Try deleting the WSJ cookie from the computer. I can not post the whole article here without a copyright violation.

It was evident to all that oil company greed was and is a driver of inflation. That affected transportation, the delivery of goods, heating, and electricity costs. There is no doubt that every major oil company has reported phenomenal, record-shattering profits in the past 2 yrs. This is not all new news. Booming corporate profits were starting to be reported last year at this time. In part, it's why the Inflation Reduction Act was passed. The WSJ article just updates this assumption with updated earnings reports that show that this was indeed absolutely correct. It's notable that this is now coming from the WSJ.

I disagree. It's political. We may not get to see eye to eye on this one. :)
By this context, everything is political. So said Thomas Mann.

Reactions: SpaceBus