Insert reline

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
I have stone/firebrick lining in my older Regency insert. I also have some left over pieces of soapstone from kitchen remodel. Would it help to reline the stove with soapstone?

Soapstone has unique thermal qualities in a stove. It heats slower and tends to stay hot for an extended period of time thus flattening and extending the heating curve as opposed to firebrick. Think of soapstone as a thermal sink. It works great in the hearthstone stoves and inserts.

I'm not familiar with the stove you have so I can't make a recommendation. If you do decide to reline with soapstone, be sure to break the soapstone in with a small fire or two before really firing the stove hard. The soapstone will contain some moisture that needs to be driven out. This should be done at the start of every heating season, or any time the soapstone is allowed to sit without burning for a long period of time.

The bricks in there now look pretty easy to replace, at least on the sides. The top has two large bricks that are ship lapped together and resting on the vent tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.