inspecting a Dutchwest 2478

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
I've been hearing about problems with these stoves but no specifics as to where to check for failures. I do not see any cracks in my refractory parts but I am not disassembling anything. Do I have to take the stove apart to check? I've had the stove since 2005 and I really have't had any major problems.

Also, after watching the sweep clean my stove I cleaned my chimmney myself from now on. Should I remove the stack for better cleaning or is it a sufficent cleaning without removing it (the chimmney sweep didn't) . I tried to remove part of the stack one time and I couldn't get it to seperate (yes, the screws were removed).
Thanks!

You need to clean out the refractory shoe or boot or whatever they call it. Ash gets built up in int and behind it into the fountain of the refractory. There is also a gasket that needs to be changed under the shoe.

Ok, but where is the refractory shoe? The breakdown in the manual is too hard to see. Is it bolted down or what?

Not bolted down. Its the white stone in the stove. If you lift the ash grate up, the shoe pulls right out. The shoe is the bottom piece that pulls out, and the rest of it is the fountain.

Ok, Now I see.
I would guess that gasket is dealer/manufacturer only?
I noticed that the material behind the "fountain" is disintegrating. I am guessing this what everyone is complaining about on these stoves?
How much is this going to cost me?
Warranty was out 2 months ago unless these pieces are covered longer than 3 years.
Thanks again!

You can get the gasket from your dealer, or a dealer. Problem with warranty is anything made before Jan. 1 2008 is not covered by the new company that owns VC/DW.

How convient seeing how poorly made this material is. I thought I was ok since the inside of the stove looked ok.
Is this refractory all one piece that remains after the shoe is removed? What's the replacement limit ....as soon as it begins to disintegrating?

Status
Not open for further replies.