Installing a new Englander 55-TRP10

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
a typical bag of premium pellet should produce about a half a coffee can of ash, most of this will be in the front end a lesser percentage gets carried through the system, some make a bit more some a bit less.

best thing i can advise is "try before you buy" get a bag or two of each, run them and compare , but do a good cleaning between tests so you dont poison the data by testing with a dirty stove

Reactions: slvrblkk
You'll eventually "learn" your stove and you'll see what pellet burns cleaner than others. I judge the ash by what one pellet burns compared to another. My Turman pellets are by far the cleanest and hottest burning pellet I've ever burned. Hardly any ash if left after burning a bag where as others leave lots of ash.

When I had my pdvc, I had to open the stove once or twice a day and scoop out the excess ash in the fire pot. That is just the nature of those stoves. Barefoots are typically a great pellet though I've never burned them. Dry Creek and PA are typically good too.

OK. Thanks for the advice. I was figuring I had to scrape the burn pot once a day, and vacuum 2 or 3 times a week. With the wood stove I just move the ash to the rear, hot coals to the front, reload. Again, TOTALLY different animal. Mike, thanks for quantifying ash volume. Very helpful.

I will say though, the wife really likes the idea of pushing a button and walking away. No dampers to adjust and you don't have to go outside to get more fuel.

Totally unrelated question but can I clean the glass with a damp paper towel (cool glass only!) ? That's how I clean the wood stove and it works very well.

OK. Thanks for the advice. I was figuring I had to scrape the burn pot once a day, and vacuum 2 or 3 times a week. With the wood stove I just move the ash to the rear, hot coals to the front, reload. Again, TOTALLY different animal. Mike, thanks for quantifying ash volume. Very helpful.

I will say though, the wife really likes the idea of pushing a button and walking away. No dampers to adjust and you don't have to go outside to get more fuel.

Totally unrelated question but can I clean the glass with a damp paper towel (cool glass only!) ? That's how I clean the wood stove and it works very well.

You are definitely right in the pallpark with that!

Yes, damp paper towel on cool glass. If you have a spot that's tough to clean, just dip the damp paper towel in a bit of ash and rub on the spot. Should come right off.

Maybe its me but as different pellets burn different I adjust the fuel air mixture via my controls. Not alot but i still do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.