Installing a new/used pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnboy1

Sep 23, 2014
COLD CANADA
I am installing a pellet stove in my basement to replace the woodstove i currently use and was wondering if its possible to just connect to the woodstove pipe? its a 7" selkirk chimney that goes up 6 sections over the peak.
My concern is that there might be to much draft if i use it?
Or should i just install a pellet stove chimney for it?

Btw its an old whitfield that i have torn apart and rebuilt.
Just about got it working well, but think i still don't have enough air moving as i read in other post the pellets should be somewhat dancing in the pot.
Also it seems that the pellets aren't completely burning.

Thoughts on any of this?

Thanks

John

7" sounds pretty big for pellet vent, and I doubt the woodburner vent is appropriate for pellet. Too much draft is not an issue, but pellet exhaust is a lot cooler than wood so pushing it up the chimney without creosote condensing is a concern. Also the chemistry is different, your current pipe might corrode.

I run a big stove (never on low) and vent into a 6" masonry lined chimney and get away with it, but it is definitely getting away with it.

Best,
- Jeff

I have had it both ways. First one was 25 years ago and they used the fireplace chimney with our Whitfield insert, it was not that long of a chimney. 10 years later we had the same installer put one in, replacing a wood stove, and they ran 4" pipe through the wood stove 6" pipe all the way up. He said they had found that it was better not to try and use the existing fireplace/stove pipe, had a lot less problems with just running the 4". 4" is used in this part of the country, we are close to a mile high. One thing I can say is that it is a lot easier to clean a 4" pipe instead of a large chimney like our fireplace, glad I don't live there anymore!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.