Installing a pellet stove into an existing fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BellaBaloo

Nov 26, 2018
North Carolina
I have a few questions. I have heated with a wood stove for the past 25 years. Sick of the mess and the ash and the bugs and the work it takes to burn wood so I have purchased a new pellet stove. PelPro 130. The Manuel does not require an OAK. My fireplace is in the middle of the house. It does not back up to an exterior wall. In order to use a fresh air intake, I would have to run the pipe across the middle of my room to the closest exterior wall. Not an option. The ash clean-out spot is in the middle of my basement, also not near an exterior wall.
1. Can I run a pipe all the way down the bottom of the fireplace to the outside of that little ash door for fresh air? It would not be outside air- but air from an unfinished basement. I can not think of any other way to have a fresh air intake. sounds to me like a good idea but I could be wrong.
2. Do I need to run the output pipe all the way up my chimney to the top or just past the fire shelf? It does not have a damper in it anymore.

I really thought I could install this myself but I am leaning more toward a professional install. The quickest company I could find was backed up 6 weeks.

Any answers will be appreciated.

Bella

I think if your house is fairly tight then taking combustion air from your unfinished basement is not going to be a lot of benefit. If it’s a bit drafty then there may be some benefit to running your intake pipe to the basement but it’s hard to say for sure.

For your second question, you should first check the building / fire code for your area. In my area we’re required to run a liner all the way to the top.

Good luck with your install.

Draw the air for the OAK from the chimney, as well, not sure of your chimney dimensions but it is possible to do it this way!

The exhaust pipe for my Harman is only 5' but if you do try to run the OAK from the chimney the exhaust pipe would need to be longer

Run your OAK up the chimney all the way up and out the flue cap (you will have to drill a separate hole in the cap for this), seal it with RTV. Leave enough extra to create an upside-down J-bend to keep rainwater out. Also, not too close to the exhaust. Check the install manual for distance specs.

Picture 010.jpg

Reactions: fmsm
Duravent (I think) also makes 2 products that could help you. One is a cap that has a separate area for a 3 inch outside air hookup, the is a double walled pipe that the outer part will draw outside air down and connect to your stove.