Installing an Arrow wood heater - Advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

242gtr

Jul 23, 2022
Melbourne Australia
Hi all! I recently picked up an older Arrow wood heater and I’m looking for advice on installing it. As the hole in the top is 8”, I’m guessing this is a 2400A model.
Arrow00.png

On top, there is only a hole. An 8” flue fits into the hole and rests with gravity on the lip but there is no way to secure it.
Arrow01.png
Arrow02.png

I’ve seen mention of a “Collar” and would like to know if one is required for my wood heater?

I found the diagram below that shows a stove collar, perhaps this is a removable part I'm missing however I can't see anything on the heater opening that it could be connected to.
Collar.PNG

The wood heater will be going into an existing brick chimney designed for open fires. The existing brick chimney was shortened at one point and a double skinned galvinised chimney section fitted to the top of the bricks from the roof level.
ArrowChimney.png
ArrowRoof.png

Given the existing arrangement, the diagram below shows my plan to fit 8” stainless steel flue with two 45 degree bends immediately at the outlet of the firebox, then straight up.
ArrowExisting.png

There is very little space directly above the wood heater so fitting the flue into the hole will be challenging.

Does my proposed approach seem reasonable or are there any suggestions for how I should approach this differently?

Thanks in advance!

The existing chimney setup looks sketchy and in dubious condition. What is the ID of the galvanized extension?

The existing chimney setup looks sketchy and in dubious condition. What is the ID of the galvanized extension?
I had the existing chimney inspected, the brickwork is in very good condition. The galvanised extension appears to be a chimney flashing, I believe it's affixed to the top of the brickwork. It's Inner Dimension is 9". The high temperature boot is slipped over that and well sealed.

While used for an open fire, that galvinised extension had an aluminium inner flue (which you can see in the image). I plan to remove this and replace with the new 8" stainless flue from the top of the firebox to level with the galvinised extension.

The old chimney extension appears to be air-cooled chimney pipe. Its inner liner should be stainless steel. If it's aluminum, this is an illegal install for wood.

If it is stainless, then the inner pipe needs to stay in and the new stainless liner must be insulated. There may not be enough room in the current setup for an insulated 8" liner to fit. 8" Duraliner is 8 5/8" OD. How tall is this extension above the brick chimney?

I was able to successfully insert the new stainless flue through the existing chimney cap/flashing. I fit 2x 45 degree bends to it at the bottom, then inserted the wood heater and dropped the flue down into it.

Regarding your question, the existing height is at least 600mm (24in) above the flat roof.

Answers to my own questions-
What is this wood heater insert? I believe it's an Arrow 2000. There is also a Coonara 2000 which looks nearly identical in photos.

Does a wood heater insert need a collar? I think the answer is no. It appears many inserts have no collar, instead they have only a hole which the crimped end of the flue inserts snugly. The hole is often quite shallow so I've heard people trim down the the crimped section of flue.

Ok. I have no knowledge of the Australian code.