Installing external thermostat on a dimplex construction space heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beermann

Feeling the Heat
Jan 16, 2017
canada
Attached are some pictures for my space heater. Recently the thermostat nob snapped off, I've used pliers to set it so my garage is warm enough when I plug it in.

Is there a way to add in an external thermostat so I can control it from a distance? From what I've gathered there are a couple different types of thermostats that may require putting in some type of regulator in the unit?

I realize I can just replace it for $50 but I like to expand my understanding of these kinds of things. Seems like a good opportunity to learn. I will probably join another form specific team electric work before I commit to tinkering away.

As a recoup, the thermostat knob is broke, my garage is heated as I used pliers to adjust the temp but I'd like to entertain using a separate thermostat as an effort to expand my knowledge and skills.

20211130_121228.jpg 20211129_184326.jpg

From the pics I can find on the interwebs it looks like it's just a line voltage thermostat. So remove the old one, put a grommet where it used to be and run some romex to a new thermostat on the wall with something like this

Reactions: beermann
Thank you for that. Came to the same conclusion - single pole thermostat run in place of the wiring inside the unit - but there is one thing I can't figure out....Am I right to assume that the same current that runs through the coils also runs through the internal thermostat? I'm stuck here because I would need to purchase a thermostat that is rated for that current/Amp.

Thank you for that. Came to the same conclusion - single pole thermostat run in place of the wiring inside the unit - but there is one thing I can't figure out....Am I right to assume that the same current that runs through the coils also runs through the internal thermostat? I'm stuck here because I would need to purchase a thermostat that is rated for that current/Amp.
Correct which is what the line voltage thermostats are rated for.

Reactions: beermann