Installing Insert in Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylomnstr

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 28, 2008
Staatsburg, NY
I have a standard fireplace in my basement that I want to put a pellet stove insert in. Is it OK to go straight up from the stove using the flexible pipe? I figure it would be easier to drop that down from the chimney than trying to run hard pipe sections up. I assume I still need a tee on the back of the stove also. Any suggestions or write ups I can review? I have an opportunity at at a pretty good deal on a used insert, so I'm just trying to find out how much more I'll have to spend to install it properly.

Get your hands on the install manual, that will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about installing the unit...

I just had an insert installed in a fireplace. The installers used 4" flex pipe and attached it to a new cap on the chimney.

AS LONG AS IT FITs, the hardest part will probably be getting it up any stairs and into the house. As others said, RTFM on the particulars. Aside from venting and clearances, you may want to see if a particular R value is called for on the hearth (and if you meet it). I ran flex UP from the fireplace, was a piece of cake and did not have me standing on the edge of my roof holding a 25' stainless steel anaconda over my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.