Installing new Osburn 2000, want to know thoughts on 90 degree elbows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mate Bird

Sep 7, 2022
Upper Black Eddy, PA
Hi Hearth Room,
Looking for some sage advice on installing my new Osburn 2000.
In the Osburn install instructions they advise you to use qty 2 - 45 degree connectors instead of a 90 degree elbow. However, the installer I had originally reached out to was going to use a 90 degree elbow.
My old wood burning stove had a straight piece of pipe that came up and out of the stove, then connected to a 90 degree elbow, which then connected to a slightly sloped straight pipe to the chimney through the masonry wall. Is this an unsafe? I'd love to use the old pipe lengths as a guide for purchasing the new pipe. I want to be sure I'm doing it the best, safest way, I would love to hear some thoughts on safety of: 90 degree elbow black, double walled, stove pipe . Thanks in advance!

The softer turn made by a pair of 45s in an offset will draft a bit easier than a 90 into a pitched horizontal run. If the stove is connecting to a 2 story flue system then it probably won't matter much, but on a shorter, 1-story flue system it can make the difference between smoke spillage when opening the stove door in mild weather and no spillage.

I have 2 45s on my osburn 3300.14 feet of chimney and it breathes well.that 2000 is a real sweet looking unit.post some pictures.

If your old stove worked fine with the 90, then I think you can be reasonably sure the new one will too.

I've got a 90 on mine, but its also 32 vertical feet above it to the chimney cap.

Personally I don't like the look of back to back 45s, but if you need it for proper function then it is what it is.

Old smoke dragons frequently lacked baffles and secondary air. Their draft requirements were less.

The softer turn made by a pair of 45s in an offset will draft a bit easier than a 90 into a pitched horizontal run. If the stove is connecting to a 2 story flue system then it probably won't matter much, but on a shorter, 1-story flue system it can make the difference between smoke spillage when opening the stove door in mild weather and no spillage.
Thanks for your point of view. The flue system is 2 story, the chimney is app 33'. So sounds like I might be safe with the 90 degree. It will also look less clunky. Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate your time.

If your old stove worked fine with the 90, then I think you can be reasonably sure the new one will too.

I've got a 90 on mine, but its also 32 vertical feet above it to the chimney cap.

Personally I don't like the look of back to back 45s, but if you need it for proper function then it is what it is.
OK, this is great to know! It is app 33 vertical feet above to our chimney cap. I much prefer the less clunky look of the 90 degree elbow so I think we will go that route. Thanks for your input and your time, much appreciated.

OK, this is great to know! It is app 33 vertical feet above to our chimney cap. I much prefer the less clunky look of the 90 degree elbow so I think we will go that route. Thanks for your input and your time, much appreciated.
This is an easy-breathing stove. I strongly second adding a key damper to the stovepipe for this tall flue.

I had three 90 degree turns and then 32' of Class A with a Jotul 500 and it was still easy to over fire the stove.

Definitely going to need a flue damper on that stove. I'd also higher recommend a flue probe, ideally a digital one, to monitor flue temps for overfiring.