insulating regency i1100s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beermann

Feeling the Heat
Jan 16, 2017
canada
I've had a few burns this year already and decided it was time to go with a suggestion I had gotten from you guys on the forum. The suggestion was to place the left over rock wool insulation around the fireplace and then block it off with some metal sheets.

Here is what it looks like so far. I've only insulated the top and the sides. I filled the sides until they were snug.. I'll be fabricating some metal throughout the next couple days to go over the front.

Let me know if you have suggestions.

Attachments

• 20191106_093242.jpg
    20191106_093242.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 20191106_094048.jpg
    20191106_094048.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 118
Are you going to do something to hold the insulation up so it’s not sitting on the stove?

Part of me wonders if it's a good idea which is why I'm coming back to the forum to discuss it.

The insulation is rated for fireplace use and it's what has been used to insulate the flue and damper/block off.

The extra insulation is for a more efficient wood insert. So it heats up faster and stays hot longer.

Are you going to do something to hold the insulation up so it’s not sitting on the stove?

Part of me wonders if it's a good idea which is why I'm coming back to the forum to discuss it.

The insulation is rated for fireplace use and it's what has been used to insulate the flue and damper/block off.

The extra insulation is for a more efficient wood insert. So it heats up faster and stays hot longer.
Every manufacturer I have discussed this with expressed concern about overheating the stove if you insulate tight to it. Honestly I don't know if it is really a concern and I doubt they do because it has probably never been tested. But I do know I would never do it myself.

Every manufacturer I have discussed this with expressed concern about overheating the stove if you insulate tight to it. Honestly I don't know if it is really a concern and I doubt they do because it has probably never been tested. But I do know I would never do it myself.

Thank you. I'll do some test runs as is and see how it goes.

We dont do over night burns and we only set a fire near the end of the day when we are all home. I am the only one who runs a fire throughout the day if I'm home all day.

Some inserts have openings in the jacket that will allow fibers to be drawn in by the blower and made airborne. Mine doesn’t have any openings in the jacket.

I insulated mine, but didn’t allow it to touch the stove.

Other than overfiring and causing a bunch of issues with an overfire. Are there any other concerns with it touching the stove? It is in direct contact with the flue for the damper plate and has never been an issue there

Other than overfiring and causing a bunch of issues with an overfire. Are there any other concerns with it touching the stove? It is in direct contact with the flue for the damper plate and has never been an issue there
No Rock Wool can easily take the heat. The issue is not an over fire. The issue is that your stove could be burning normally but because the heat is trapped you could be overheating the metal. You would have no idea untill it caused a failure. That is why when we insulate we never do it tight.

No Rock Wool can easily take the heat. The issue is not an over fire. The issue is that your stove could be burning normally but because the heat is trapped you could be overheating the metal. You would have no idea untill it caused a failure. That is why when we insulate we never do it tight.

Ok I understand what your saying now. So even though my temp may have a good reading on the front of the stove the areas where insulation is touching may be hotter and overfiring in different spots on the metal.

I will re asses my approach to insulating it

How much space do you think I should use between the insulation and the unit.

How much space do you think I should use between the insulation and the unit.
An inch or so. Like I said I really don't know if this is a real concern. But multiple manufacturers have expressed that concern so that is enough for me to be very wary.

An inch or so. Like I said I really don't know if this is a real concern. But multiple manufacturers have expressed that concern so that is enough for me to be very wary.

I agree with you that it probably won't be a problem but I am re assessing my approach. Thanks

Maybe you could slip a piece of micore between the stove and the insulation. Make a few spacers that that keep the micore from making contact except for a few small spots.

Reactions: beermann
Thank you. This thread helped me with my insulation. From the Wiki section of this site i made a block off plate and surrounded the firebox with rock wool. 2/3 or more of my chimney and fireplace is outside the house. There was no block off plate and i was never happy with the performance of the 4100i. My insert is surrounded by sheetmetal so im not worried about contact with insulation. Had some leftover ceramic blanket from replacement above the baffle boards and laid it on top. Not sure if i will need it.

c33342151eba05bfec47a7df0542499b.jpg
f4110b3a43eb68e756bb57c4a8fd8893.jpg
178a31aa90468c8643dd2acdea4d9bdb.jpg
55302e1e53b8aebe76229547b45a2b9d.jpg

b11c752168e06f7373707ba85335c719.jpg

66538ffa204700543e22fbdb4cfd42b7.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. This thread helped me with my insulation. From the Wiki section of this site i made a block off plate and surrounded the firebox with rock wool. 2/3 or more of my chimney and fireplace is outside the house. There was no block off plate and i was never happy with the performance of the 4100i. My insert is surrounded by sheetmetal so im not worried about contact with insulation. Had some leftover ceramic blanket from replacement above the baffle boards and laid it on top. Not sure if i will need it.

c33342151eba05bfec47a7df0542499b.jpg
f4110b3a43eb68e756bb57c4a8fd8893.jpg
178a31aa90468c8643dd2acdea4d9bdb.jpg
55302e1e53b8aebe76229547b45a2b9d.jpg

b11c752168e06f7373707ba85335c719.jpg

66538ffa204700543e22fbdb4cfd42b7.jpg
Almost all inserts are surrounded by sheet metal. And the ones I discussed with several manufacturer's were they said do not insulate tight to the stove.

Well that scraps the insulation for me hahaha. I only have a few inches on the sides. The walls act as a huge heat sink and I was hoping to keep the heat in.
I like 1" micore or roxul board better for insulating the fireplace interior walls. It's rigid so less fibers flying, takes up less space and it's easier to make it stay in place.