Insulation to plug flue after liner install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Borgia

Jan 14, 2016
Patterson, ny
Recently I installed an insulated 6 inch chimney liner in my flue. There is still a lot of room around the liner in the flue that heat would escape up. I was thinking of plugging the room in the flue around the liner with rockwool insulation. Is this safe? Recommended? If not what would be alternatives? The insulation would be about 18 inches above wood stove insert and directly touch the liner

Search this forum under “block off plate”. Basically it’s sheet metal fit to the opening you’re describing. Rockwool insulation sits above the sheet metal. Rockwool is safe for that application. You will get better insulating quality from this than the Rockwool alone. That, and you won’t have to deal with the bits of Rockwool dust that will shed over time.

Info on making a block-off plate is also here: