Insurance fiasco?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duetech

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 15, 2008
S/W MI
Dissatisfied with one insurance company I am having problems getting insured having an indoor wood boiler in an out building. Stated specifically that an outdoor wood boiler cannot be put in a building. When clarified that it is an indoor wood boiler but in an out building the refusal to insure is based on an indoor boiler bieng outside. What is this cyclical thinking?

As I found out, many insurance companies will not insure any solid-fuel appliance installed in a non-dwelling. Some go as far as to specify that the appliance may not be installed below grade or in any location you are not likely to be spending much time. They argue that the appliance should be observed as much as possible in order to prevent a dangerous condition from occurring. As usual, total B.S. but they get away with it.

I switched to a company that insures farmers (like farm bureau). They had a person on staff that was familiar with boilers, hydronic systems, solar, wind generation, etc. No problems getting a policy written, and price was not any higher than the regular companies.

Good luck - this was the most frustrating part of my install.

Hello all,
I just took the Garn plunge.We just hauled it home aweek ago. I got a little nervous having this unit sitting on my trailer in my yard, so I called my insurance company.I gave them some basic info, CSA#,pics, etc. and told them I would like to have it insured for theft.I have yet to here back. I'll be following up because it may sit there for a while since I am layed up for a bit because of some minor surgery. I'm located in Manitoba, Canada and hope that I'm not going to run into the same resistance from insurers as others have. Great forum, lots of good information.

Cave2k,

If you are interested . . . .I talked to an insurance rep. in Houghton Lake, that seemed very reasonable as far as dealing w/ wood heat. At the time I talked to him, he had no problem w/ insuring a set up like yours. (Deals w/ Auto Owners insurance) I can give you his contact information if you want.

StackedLumber said:
Cave2k,

If you are interested . . . .I talked to an insurance rep. in Houghton Lake, that seemed very reasonable as far as dealing w/ wood heat. At the time I talked to him, he had no problem w/ insuring a set up like yours. (Deals w/ Auto Owners insurance) I can give you his contact information if you want.

Thanks for the response. Please, most definitely PM me with the number. I appreciate your help.

Scott from Canada said:
Hello all,
I just took the Garn plunge.We just hauled it home aweek ago. I got a little nervous having this unit sitting on my trailer in my yard, so I called my insurance company.I gave them some basic info, CSA#,pics, etc. and told them I would like to have it insured for theft.I have yet to here back. I'll be following up because it may sit there for a while . . . .

Ummm, what's yer street address? BTW, when do you and the wife like to go into town to go grocery shopping?? :coolsmirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.