Interesting Story about the need for a first aid kit and the knowledge to use it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That's a real reminder for sure. I've always got a kid with me (Praise God) but I called my oldest ones in just now to remind them of pressure points in the armpits and groin in case something like this ever happens to the old man.

That tractor bucket idea sounds like something I'd do too, idiot that I am. :p

Reactions: Ashful
Wow, lucky guy. As much as we can call his actions stupid, and criticize, I suspect we've all done some similarly-stupid things ourselves. I know I've had a few butt-pucker moments.

Wow, lucky guy. As much as we can call his actions stupid, and criticize, I suspect we've all done some similarly-stupid things ourselves. I know I've had a few butt-pucker moments.
Yeah, me too. Actually, more than I'd like to admit...

I wont cut anything anywhere alone anymore. Speaking from experience and stupidity. 30 years later I still have a nice 5" long reminder right above my left knee what can happen in an instant. Chainsaws are unforgiving, and don't cut flesh, they shred it.

Here is my story from this year. I found a fallen red oak with the bark falling off. Under it was a small tree about 4 inches. I cut the 4 inch off where it stuck out from under the oak, so I wouldn't trip on it. I make a mental note to watch that section when I cut the round off because that 4 inch tree looks like it wants to kill me. So I started cutting rounds on the branch end of the tree and my wife calls, and wood cutting will have to wait till next weekend. 3 weeks go past and I finally get to go back out and cut some more. With all mental note erased, I start cutting again. As I reach the round holding down the 4 inch tree, for some reason I change to the other side of the oak. So the 4 inch tree that was at my feet is now on the other side of the oak. When I cut the round free up pops that small tree with quite a bit of force. I am not sure what would have happened to me and that running saw. It does remind me to slow down and look over the job even if it it's one I already started. I will have to get a picture of the small tree, and tape it to the top of my chainsaw case.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk