Interior vs exterior tile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Is there any real difference between interior and exterior tile? We’re looking at redoing the exterior entryway to the house. The wife likes some interior tile. Will it last? It’s in a spot that is shielded from direct sun/weather.

Porcelain tile is more durable than ceramic & the grout needs to be rated for exterior use. A rougher finish on the exterior tile is also desirable. You don’t want a “ Slippery when Wet” situation… You also might want to select a thicker tile for durability as well.

Porcelain tile is very durable, but agree with DAKSY that outdoor tile might need to be thicker, and the mortar and grout may need to be different. In addition to being slippery, some glazes will crack due to temperature changes. Some unglazed tiles will absorb water which can cause cracking in freezing temperatures. Water absorption and temperature changes in the substrate can cause expansion / contraction / deflection leading to cracking. An isolation membrane would help.

Ceramic is not recommended for outdoors, the frost would tear it to shreds.
Porcelain tile for interior, I also used it outdoors, under a porch, otherwise, if totally exposed, I would not have used, but I would have chosen specific products for outdoors. These are important jobs, it's always better to have the peace of mind of not having risked. Glue, frostproof, is also required, and also deformable, it is ideal for outdoors, "S" is the abbreviation it should have. Last but not least, a high performance grout, Water repellent is required.

exterior tile is thicker and also has a rougher surface so it does not become slippery, im also sure the back of it is designed different so it will bite more to the glue or whatever it is called that they put it down with.

Ok, I think the wife has settled on a porcelain tile rated for outdoor use. Now I need to figure out the details for getting everything the correct finished height.

There was a lot more concrete than I thought under the old stones, lol.

I had to keep increasing hammer size. 8lb maul and 10lb sledge were next.

Now I know why the angle grinder didn’t do squat! Lol

0CC3C687-DEFB-4493-B247-C3F977E7B2CA.jpeg

B04DDCC4-1AD6-48BF-9AD9-0F8B326E2074.jpeg

generally 2-3 millimeters are considered ( here ) for glue and then consider a slope, towards the outside, of at least 1 centimeter for every metre, I don't know if you should also consider a specific waterproofer to apply over the concrete, to protect the wood, under. In my house I put a stone threshold at the door level, and then the external tiles, lower, to prevent the wind, push the rain inside