Intoxicating the slugs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooserider

Mod Emeritus
Nov 20, 2006
Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
I've been getting a pretty decent garden patch this summer, we may have a few zuch's and summers for the party, and also some assorted hot peppers and herbs if people want them.

However I've recently found that I'm sharing to much of my garden with the slugs. :mad: One of the suggestions I got on how to get rid of them was to get them drunk - though nobody explained how I was supposed to check their ID... I went out and bought a 6-pack of the cheapest stuff I could find (Miller "Milwaukee's Best ICE" - if that's the best they can do in Milwaukee, I feel sorry for them, that stuff is NASTY! :sick: ) I poured out three cans into assorted dishes scattered around the garden, and it appears that slugs have no taste - they like the stuff :bug:

My question is how long does "Slug Beer" work? When do I need to poor the buggers another round?

Gooserider

;) lol. Goose, I can't really comment on the effectiveness of the method..but you might be on the right track. Back in high school days 'Milwaukee Best' was affectionately reffered to as "The Beast"...lol

My wife is a pesticide-free gardener so she uses the beer method. The beer will stay effective until it either evaporates or the slugs carcasses fill up the container and have to be dumped. She also uses "Escar-Go!" made by 'Gardens Alive', and said this works well and is safe around all other critters including cats and dogs. Lastly, to protect certain plants, you can make a "defensive line" around them with busted up egg-shells.

They won't cross copper, so if you've got some old copper wire or pipe laying around, you can put around special plants to keep the slugs away. I realize that with the price of copper these days, that may not be practical.

Another organic possibility is wood ashes. It doesn't work as well when they're wet, but the ashes apparently irritate the soft underbody, like the eggshells, and discourage the slugs.

One of the most effective methods is to just go on a murderous rampage, killing all the slugs you can find on a rainy day. Do that a couple of times, and you'll notice a big drop in the number of slugs.

If your hunting them, pour some salt on each one. Tedious yes, but the salt immediately eats at them killing them.
The copper suggestion also works. You could even make a perimeter of copper around the garden. They just don't like copper.

Hogwildz said:
If your hunting them, pour some salt on each one.

Mmmmmm- slug jerky and Milwaukee's best. Now that thar is some good eatin'

Hi Gooserider, sad news for you straight from my garden club meeting last night. We had a personal tour of a lovely garden of hybrid day lilies. The homeowner is a master gardener. She was complaining about her slug problem and mentioned that she never had a slug until she used a fertilizer that was composed of beer, which in turn attracted slugs far and wide. She tries to go organic but said that some product from Home Depot called Slug X (or something like that) was the only thing that worked for her. Good luck, and maybe keep the beer in your frig.

Gooserider said:
However I've recently found that I'm sharing to much of my garden with the slugs. :mad: One of the suggestions I got on how to get rid of them was to get them drunk - though nobody explained how I was supposed to check their ID... I went out and bought a 6-pack of the cheapest stuff I could find (Miller "Milwaukee's Best ICE" - if that's the best they can do in Milwaukee, I feel sorry for them, that stuff is NASTY! :sick: ) I poured out three cans into assorted dishes scattered around the garden, and it appears that slugs have no taste - they like the stuff :bug:

My question is how long does "Slug Beer" work? When do I need to poor the buggers another round?

Gooserider

Webmaster said:
Hi Gooserider, sad news for you straight from my garden club meeting last night. We had a personal tour of a lovely garden of hybrid day lilies. The homeowner is a master gardener. She was complaining about her slug problem and mentioned that she never had a slug until she used a fertilizer that was composed of beer, which in turn attracted slugs far and wide. She tries to go organic but said that some product from Home Depot called Slug X (or something like that) was the only thing that worked for her. Good luck, and maybe keep the beer in your frig.

Gooserider said:

Gooserider

Well, I'm not using the beer as fertilizer, so it may still be OK - will remember when dumping it to pour it out AWAY from the garden, or possibly around the outside of it to try and pull them away from the good stuff... (I don't mind if the slugs help with weed control...

Gooserider

Jags, I sent coffee out of my knows with the Milwaukees best and slug jerky comment!!! Hell I am in the Milw area and once your out of college you switch to lienenkugels (sp) The other stuff is just high octane water.

burntime said:
Jags, I sent coffee out of my knows with the Milwaukees best and slug jerky comment!!! Hell I am in the Milw area and once your out of college you switch to lienenkugels (sp) The other stuff is just high octane water.

I am quite familiar with that neck of the woods. The only thing worse was meister brau.

We called it Meister chow. Don't forget Old Milwaukee. Looking at my quote I guess I don't know how to spell nose. Must have been the Old Milw.

You're supposed to put the beer in a cup or bowl, then place tht in the garden. The slugs are attracted to the beer and enter the container then drown. We've tried it with poor results.

Just spray your garden with bonide fruit tree spray (not seven) or neem.

If we did that just how would we end up with slug jerky? More like slug gelliten(sp)

Status
Not open for further replies.