iPhone FLIR thermal camera

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamestead

Feeling the Heat
Nov 9, 2011
Windsor County, Vermont
Saw this news release the other day, looks like a nice toy for looking for leaks and insulation gaps.

"One camera pulls thermal images, while the other pulls regular imaging data that it uses to outline shapes and make it easier to understand exactly what it is you’re looking at. It’s worth noting that this is no slouch of a thermal camera. The shooter can pick up heat signatures from as far as 100 meters away, and is apparently so sensitive it can spot a footprint left on the carpet even after the person has walked away."

http://petapixel.com/2014/01/09/turn-iphone-predator-vision-thermal-camera-flir/

that's way cool.....I've always loved FLIR. I got to use it back in the late 70's. it opens up a whole new world and way of seeing things. might just have to get one when the android version comes out. but then, I have been thinking about the I-phone.

I could reeeeally use one of those,
I wonder if it would work with an 5th gen iPod touch? it's basically the same as an iPhone but doesn't make house calls.

That's neat - wonder if it includes a scale for determining temp along the color spectrum? Used a $75K FLIR in grad school for looking at re-warming rates in hibernating bats as well as thermally detecting bat roosts via the heat signature emitted from hollows in trees containing bat colonies - now that was a perfect use of a FLIR :). Cheers!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.