IPI gas fireplace has sporadic spark

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluedevil65

Nov 2, 2014
My Majestic gas fireplace is 6 years old. The IPI system generates a intermittent spark.
Just recently, I flipped the wall switch to the unit and it lit up 3 times in a row.
Sometimes it ignites quickly, but more often than not it will take 5 to 10 minutes to ignite.
It has mind of it's own.

Lately, there is no detectable spark at the igniter tip, but I do see a noticeable glow at the burner hood.
I always hear the system trying to gen a spark and have:

Cleaned the burner hood, electrode tips and checked for loose wiring. I have looked for arcing at night with lights off. Nothing. I have even checked the wall switch for power and it is good!

Just now, I flipped the wall switch and I get a good spark out of 10 attempts. I am wondering if the igniter is going bad?

I have read the post "It's a Gas ... my IPI fireplace has no spark " 1-26-13 by Ruffram which was great, and followed that thread for t/s my issue.

All comments are greatly appreciated

Bluedevil65

The first thing I'd do is to replace the wall switch. They can fail & are cheap enough to replace. Let us know ow you make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.