Is a brick fireplace considered an alcove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PaulBunyun

Oct 15, 2019
Michigan
I currently have a brick fireplace that I have a wood insert (Quad 2700I) in. Long story short I have done some remodeling to the house and this insert is no longer cutting it for several reasons. I want to get a standing wood stove and run it from my fireplace. I would be removing the raised hearth and leveling it with the floor (including inside the fireplace itself) . However I have a 36 inch wide opening for my fireplace. I am looking at a Lopi Liberty. This particular stove calls for an alcove minimum opening of 42 inches. I would want the stove to be sitting out from the fireplace into the room as much as possible. However, I have been reading online as well as this forum and seem to be getting conflicting information on whether a "real" fireplace and chimney is actually an alcove or not. I would hate to have to open it another three inches on each side if I didn't have to. In addition, some stoves require a crazy opening height (ex. 6+ feet) for an alcove installation. It seems silly to me that I would have to open it up (which I can't) that high. I have attached some pics for reference. My mantel would be non-combustible FYI.

20210323_193642.jpg 20210326_093931.jpg

A full masonry fireplace is not an alcove. It is entirely non-combustible. While looking at 3 cu ft stoves, I suggest also considering N/S loading firebox stoves. They have more usable capacity.

Reactions: rdust