Is a missing manufacturer label a dealbreaker when buying a used Jotul gas stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

warmup777

Dec 30, 2021
bay area
Newbie question! I found a nice used Allagash that is missing the metal plate/label/tag thing that should be attached. Is this certification tag essential for servicing, or if there were a code inspection, or reselling, or some such? Wanted to check this out before pulling the trigger. Thanks so much for any insight!

If it was UL listed, it is not anymore without the tag. And that means you have an unlisted stove and need to use clearances for unlisted stoves (three feet on all sides?)

Thanks so much! I had a feeling the tag might be essential for something or other. I'll ask this person to go back and look harder!

If it was UL listed, it is not anymore without the tag. And that means you have an unlisted stove and need to use clearances for unlisted stoves (three feet on all sides?)
Success! I suggested to him that it might be tucked in the side or back and lo and behold, it was just hiding. The stove is on its way to me--but it wouldn't have been if that tag wasn't there!

Reactions: stoveliker