Is a poracelin swag lamp socket better than a brass or alum one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 23, 2008
ky
got one of those long adapters in it now. But its irritating to my eyes. The adapter has a plugs on it too
yall know elec receptacles. which is not wanted or needed Dont want it hard wired too much trouble for my busy Hubby etc.
I dont believe there is a pull chain adapter made w/o the elec receptacles. Is there ?
You know the screw in adapters?
So yall think the porcelain socket is safer than just the metal one?
Who know such so much elec junk made now days is Chinese junk or even a USA made junk
THANK YOU ALL AND blessings to all

I find it really hard to grasp what you are trying to establish.

"
got one of those long adapters in it now. But its irritating to my eyes. The adapter has a plugs on it too
yall know elec receptacles. which is not wanted or needed Dont want it hard wired too much trouble for my busy Hubby etc."

If you could translate this using punctuation and logical sentences, we might be able to help.

Porcelain is the most durable, long lasting, and depending on the fixture wire used can handle higher heat. The higher heat is important in hanging fixtures especially with incandescent bulbs.

Okay all. Hubby only could buy ,where he went { big box home center........a brass looking one with the pull chain,,,,
I looked up at the hanging swag lamp and it looks like it now has a porcelain socket.
I guess yall will tell me ,like Hubby said , That a pull chain couldnt be added to the existing porcelain socket. Correct.????
So it looks like I have to send for a porcelain socket with an already added pull chain. Correct.???
It seems like such a waste of an existing nice well built prob USA made swap l;amp socket.
Dang it. Any comments? Local electrical supply house only has the brass pull chain ones too similar to what he bought at BIG box home Center.

You can add this but its length makes the light bulb position change with respect to the rest of the fixture.

Why not add a regular switch inline to the light if you want it switchable?

Or just put in a regular pull chain bulb socket with a pull-chain and use an LED bulb in it for more light with a lot less heat and less power consumed.

Reactions: bigealta
Well gentlemen I do have the adapter in it now
but it makes the Globe bulb hang down more pass the swag glaaa off white shade. The well made prob USA lamp /light a nice older Tiffany style kitchen light / lamp ...
Yeah I thought about in line switch. Which Hubby has installed quite a few for me over the many years.
But it over a real wide counter peninsula. Have to tiptoe to reach it...
The existing med size globe bulb is nice BUt the switch adapter makes it stick down , causing strong Glare.... Since my FAiLED /Botched eye surgery ...everthing bright or shiny White etc..makes my eyes irritated and blinding.... Since my eye surgery Its like I have eye drops in .. like ones put in by an eye doctor to check ypur eye sight.. Understand what I am saying.?
Also just recently got on clearance lots of those big prob SIX inch globe bulbs like for less than a dollar EACH . LOL
I also csnt see my cameras screen any more to take photos and u[load....YEah I know I am full of excuses.
Hubby did find the pull chain in regular brass but Of course PORCELIN is better.
I see some on line etc but it looks like just the bottom of the socket is P{ORCELAIN NOT the scre in threaded part,,,,
Doid they ever manufgacture a complete porcelain lamp light socket with a pull chain... ?? Maybe porcelin is too delicate for a pull chain assembly?
Yeah I knoww Typical woman asking lots of QUESTIONS??? LOL Thank yall Great GUYS again

Yes, that's what I mentioned: the light bulb position changes. Sorry to hear about your eyes.

If you want the porcelin one because of aesthetics - the you just have to search. (Or get a white plastic one.)

But you mention "better". I'm not sure what you mean by that.
In the end, if any part is UL listed, it's not worse than a porcelin part - the safety standards for any UL listed part are the same.
So I would not hesitate to get a non-porcelin part, but I'd buy a UL listed part regardless of what material it is.

Anything you put in will bring the light bulb lower though.

Would putting the switch at the plug be more accessible?

Reactions: gruesome
It's unclear if this is a permanent fixture. It sounds like a corded light fixture. Maybe hubby can provide a picture to stop all the guesswork.

Reactions: bigealta