Is Garbage disposal now garbage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooserider

Mod Emeritus
Nov 20, 2006
Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
We have a garbage disposal that we put in 5 or 10 years ago, a "True Temper" brand from the local True Value, which we were told is actually a relabeled Insinkerator, so a pretty decent brand. (We got it as a bargain, normally it was the top of the line model, but we bought the store display unit for $15 on a closeout...)

We generally only run it about once every few days to a week or so, when we attack the sink... A few weeks ago I found that it was occasionally getting stuck, but that by putting the wrench in the allen socket on the underside of the unit, it was possible to break it free, at which point it would run fine. I'd been trying to run it a bit more often, and it hasn't been getting stuck as much lately.

However I have noticed a few drops of water on the floor of the sink cabinet under the unit, and it felt a bit damp around the allen socket.

Tonight it started something new - it would hum but not start, however I found that it was free to turn with the wrench... If I turned it on, and very carefully tried to "bump it" with the wrench, it would start and run fine...

Obviously it needs some attention, but is it something that is repairable, or would I be better off to replace it?

If I do need to replace it, is doing so a reasonably "DIY Friendly" process, or is it a "needs plumber" operation (under sink plumbing is all PVC if that matters)

Gooserider

Lots of people use them, but there is a better alternative for a wood-burner type person who also thinks conservation is a good idea. Start a compost pile and put all the raw vegetative and egg shell matter in the compost pile. Cooked stuff, meat and bones can be composted but they also attract some vermin that can be objectionable, so put those in the trash. Junk the garbage disposal.

Three advantages: 1) saves money, 2) good soil for your own use plus 3) no more feeding of the sewer rats and phosphorus loading of the public sewer system. All that phosphorus gets in the waters and grows mega-tons of algae and green gunk in what used to be clear water. Sewer processing does not remove phosphorus. Bonus: more space in the cabinet under the sink. And if you have a septic system, the less solid material in the system the better for a long, trouble-free life.

One of the first things we did with our last house and current house was pull out the disposal.

I do some composting, but IMHO the disposal is still useful for the small stuff that always seems to end up in the sink, even if one tries to get rid of the bulk of the waste in other ways...

Since my first post, I have done some more looking, and most of the appliance repair sites I've found seem to say the unit is no good, so I'm looking for a replacement.

I was mostly looking at another Insinkerator, but I'm seeing a fair number of references to a "Waste King" brand that seems to get a lot of good reviews, and be a lot less money than the comparable Insinkerators - The WK top model, w/ a "Lifetime in-home warrantee" is available several places for under $150, the best price I've been finding on the comparable ISE, that only has a seven year warrantee, is about $250...

Anybody have any problems with the Waste Kings?

Gooserider

IMHO, whether you're doing it yourself or paying someone, if you pull the disposal out (almost certainly necessary to repair it), you might as well replace it. Normally, I'm all for conserving and making things last, but disposals are a pain in the donkey to remove and replace, so I would replace w/ new.

About 2 years ago out disposal jammed up and I didn't feel like pulling it out. So we had a plumber out, he free'd it up w/the wrench as Goose described, and said it wouldn't last another six months. It's still going strong. We try to compost all of our food waste, or if I'm lazy and haven't take the compost bucket out in the few days, the food waste goes in the garbage, not the disposal. The only things that go down the disposal, most of the time, are (1) lemons - I try to run at least one per week to keep the smells away; and (2) slop from rinsing out a pot or container.

I figger the less I send down the disposal, the longer the thing will last and the longer 'till I have to pull and replace - or pay someone to do so.

Peace,
- Sequoia

I had the a super cheap disposal that came with the house and it actually started to cut through the outer plastic housing, thus leaking water everywhere. Bought a new one at Home Depot (mid grade insinkerator) and replaced it myself. Pretty easy job to do and I cleaned out some of the nasty pipes while I had them off. I put a lot of crap down the disposal. Can't really do composte where I am (shared yard), and I hate rotting food in my garbage can stinking up the kitchen.

Buy a new one off eBay. I got a 1 HP unit for less than half Home Depot price. I think you will find that the larger units will last much longer with no clogs and will also be better for your septic system if you have one.

Bspring said:
Buy a new one off eBay. I got a 1 HP unit for less than half Home Depot price. I think you will find that the larger units will last much longer with no clogs and will also be better for your septic system if you have one.

Just did that a few minutes ago - with difficulty, as Ebay has some sort of bug in their payment system. The first vendor I tried three different listings (for the same unit) over two-three days and had the same problem every time. Spent a bunch of time on the phone w / PayPal, they said all was well on their end, and that eBay wasn't sending them the information on the purchase... Reported the bug to eBay, with no response.

Did manage to buy it from a different vendor (for $3.00 more! >:-( )

It's a 1 hp, Waste King 8000, for $115.99, supposed to be as good or better than the high end Insinkerators for over $250, with all stainless innards, and a lifetime "in home replacement" warranty. Nearly all the reviews I found on it were positive, only complaint was that the top opening was a little smaller than the Insinkerator. Should go in pretty easily, I did some rough measurements with a tape, and it looks like the WK is about 3" taller than the existing unit, but all the drain connections and other measurments are the same, so it will (hopefully) drop right in.

Gooserider

Why not use your other new disposal unit... place under sink when not in use in yard, problem solved.

Attachments

• IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 258
Gooserider, Replacing a garbage disposal unit (GDU) is usually a pretty simple task. Havn'd done one in a few years but as I recall, many new units will twist lock directly to the existing sink drain so you might not need to replace and reseal a new drain. The simple and usual process is to unplug and remove drain line from old unit. Un-twistlock the old unit from the sink drain. They are heavier than one would think, so be careful. I believe the supplied offset allen wrench is used to help with the twist locking off and on.

See if the new GDU will twist lock directly to the existing sink drain. If not replace drain with new one packed with new GDU. Align new unit so the drain hose barb is on the correct side. Make discharge hose connection and plug power cord into wall outlet. Done deal!

Good luck,

John_M

Status
Not open for further replies.