Is Golden Flue the answer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chase2023

Dec 31, 2022
NC
Hi. We have a home built in 1915 with 7 fireplaces, and two chimneys. We’ve lived here for 7 years and have never used the fireplaces and have no plans to do so. A mason looked at the exterior of the chimneys and said they were fine, considering their age. They each have proper flashing and a chimney cap. Nevertheless, I’ve noticed that in all of the fireplaces, there is a sand-like substance that falls onto the floor of every firebox that I have to periodically vacuum out (pic attached). Based on my research, I would assume that this means that the flue mortar is disintegrating and that the flues should be reclined? I would also assume that a cast-in-place flue liner—like Golden Flue—is the only fix for this? Further, there was a fire in one of the fireplaces, long before we bought the house, and the firebox clearly needs to be rebuilt. In that fireplace, I have to vacuum up leaves (pic also attached)! Would a cast-in-place liner fix this problem, as well? Finally—thank you for your patience—my understanding is that the cast-in-place is done for each chimney, which then vents into separate fireplaces, which would mean that we would need, if appropriate, two casts? I’ve tried to educate myself before bothering folks on a forum, but I can’t seem to get clear on these issues on my own. Thank you.

B6E161F8-3E0E-4176-B0BA-0D33B038E610.jpeg A2AFB48F-12EA-4A60-9FD4-10AD65E0BB28.jpeg

Hi. We have a home built in 1915 with 7 fireplaces, and two chimneys. We’ve lived here for 7 years and have never used the fireplaces and have no plans to do so. A mason looked at the exterior of the chimneys and said they were fine, considering their age. They each have proper flashing and a chimney cap. Nevertheless, I’ve noticed that in all of the fireplaces, there is a sand-like substance that falls onto the floor of every firebox that I have to periodically vacuum out (pic attached). Based on my research, I would assume that this means that the flue mortar is disintegrating and that the flues should be reclined? I would also assume that a cast-in-place flue liner—like Golden Flue—is the only fix for this? Further, there was a fire in one of the fireplaces, long before we bought the house, and the firebox clearly needs to be rebuilt. In that fireplace, I have to vacuum up leaves (pic also attached)! Would a cast-in-place liner fix this problem, as well? Finally—thank you for your patience—my understanding is that the cast-in-place is done for each chimney, which then vents into separate fireplaces, which would mean that we would need, if appropriate, two casts? I’ve tried to educate myself before bothering folks on a forum, but I can’t seem to get clear on these issues on my own. Thank you.

View attachment 306637 View attachment 306638
If you have no intention of using the fireplaces why would you pay to line them?

Thank you for the quick reply! I thought that relining would stop the mortar deterioration (if that’s what it is)? I’d hate to see bricks start falling into the room.

Thank you for the quick reply! I thought that relining would stop the mortar deterioration (if that’s what it is)? I’d hate to see bricks start falling into the room.
It's probably going to be several thousand dollars each flue.

I have a house in NE Georgia built in 1906. Same thing as yours, debris falls into the fireplaces.
I just covered them up and forgot about them. Also I sealed the top of the unused chimneys to keep rain and critters out of the chimneys. One chimney is used for my wood stove.
You could use cement board to seal the top of the chimneys.

Interesting, thank you. So debris stopped falling after you sealed the chimneys? Our chimneys have caps, but you’re saying that this doesn’t keep out the rain and that cement board will do that? I’m thinking that the bits of mortar sand (if that’s what it is) that fall into the fireplace are the result of moisture?

Interesting, thank you. So debris stopped falling after you sealed the chimneys? Our chimneys have caps, but you’re saying that this doesn’t keep out the rain and that cement board will do that? I’m thinking that the bits of mortar sand (if that’s what it is) that fall into the fireplace are the result of moisture?
Most of the debris will stop falling but not all of it. But if it's closed off it doesn't matter much. A poured liner may not be a bad option if you were trying to make a fireplace functional again. But I don't see that it makes any sense just to stop debris from falling

"Out of sight and out of mind"

Most of the debris will stop falling but not all of it. But if it's closed off it doesn't matter much. A poured liner may not be a bad option if you were trying to make a fireplace functional again. But I don't see that it makes any sense just to stop debris from falling
Thank you so much.