Is it me, or does this splitter look dangerous?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is ridiculously dangerous. They make them for tractors too to be be mounted on the rear PTO driveshaft.

One mode of failure, the log gets grabbed out of your hands and is now spinning fast.

Another is you getting a piece of clothing into it like a shirt sleeve.

Or my favorite: You bend over to pick up the piece of wood sitting behind you and get yourself screwed.

I have knowledge of this splitter wrenchmonster but don't feel its worth my time and effort to post information to this thread about it
BUT
it would be more informational if you would compare all the data of every splitter made to compare the danger level and usage of this splitter and its worth.

Yeah, can you imagine trying to explain that to your wife...

Honey, remember that really cheap splitter I got that uses the car's engine for power???

Well I just did $4500 bucks worth of body damage to our new Toyota, and your youngest son is on his way to the hospital with a split lodged in his brain...

-- Mike

Roospike said:
I have knowledge of this splitter wrenchmonster but don't feel its worth my time and effort to post information to this thread about it
BUT
it would be more informational if you would compare all the data of every splitter made to compare the danger level and usage of this splitter and its worth.

LMAO. Oh man... I can barely type a response!

Aye,
Kevin

Roospike said:
BUT

Rooooooooo Soooooooooo Baaaaaaadddddddd, LMFAO! :lol:

That thing just looks like a trip to the ER waiting to happen.

A while back the same question was asked. . Imagine pushing enough on the round at balls height when all of a sudden it gives .Talk about being screwed
that is if you live through the experience. Damn I forgot to wear a cup maKe that in a real squeeky voice.

So the truck is jacked up....... and lets say this is right hand threaded....... does the differential come into play with this thing?
Ahh it looks cool though.......... Wouldn't really consider it though

They don't mention that you need an open diff GVA, I'm assuming folks with a limited slip/locker would know better.

It would be a better set up if run off a PTO and if there was a table involved and a long arm to push the round into the splitter. At least then you wouldn't physically be holding on to the round.

-Kevin

Id like to see the look on someones face trying that on one of my rigs with a welded or locked rear axle..

or a newer Yota or Rover with the electronic traction control and all wheel drive.

overlooking the dangers of the screw it self, there are about 145 things dangerous and wrong for the typical vehicle owner to rig that up..

neat concept, but terrible implementation

Only a moron would buy such a dangerous contraption. Someone should really contact the Product&safety commission. Dangerous is the only word appropriate

They have been making these "unicorns of death" for quite some time. Really didn't think a modern company would be making them these days. Some versions for the tractor had a rigid bar that ran parallel to the unicorn so that the twist of the screw would force the log into the bar and prevent the spins.

The threads of the screw aren't nearly as aggressive as you may think and once the split pops the tension on the threads is relieved so you can move on.

What if you ran someone's earhole into this thing?

Reactions: Batman
We had one that mounted on the PTO of a Ford 8N. Never did get the wheel mount thing--too many things to go wrong. The PTO mount was bad enough. You couldn't wear a hooded sweat shirt with the strings hanging down, got quite a few busted knuckles when the wood was grabbed out of your hand when a piece fed on to the screw crooked, had my gloves taken off several times, and occasionally it would auger through a stingy piece of elm or hickory and not split. It was a real bi&$h to back the Unicorn out of the piece by hand. After saying all that, we used it for years and split many many cords with it. Guess we were young and stupid! We retired it and put it in the back of the barn. Had a sale last year of all my dad's old stuff. It was in the sale and darned if someone didn't buy it. We warned them, but they were going to try it anyway. Hope they are still around.

Did anybody read the warranty on this thing. The warranty is for 24 months and you can get a full refund if your return it "UNUSED" and in it's original container. How are you supposed to know if it works if you don't use it?

Yep, I hope this company has a huge amount of product liability insurance $$$$$$$.

A lot of splitters were made like this one using old flywheel engines.
Another version used a 4 foot plus diameter flywheel from a large engine. You bolted a splitting wedge on the rim and turned it slow with a small engine or electric motor. Stand in front with your block of wood and after the wedge goes by you push the block in close, when the wedge comes around again the block gets split. :)

I got this one at an auction and since the crank is not bent I want to convert it back to an engine, it is a New Way which is a rare one around here. May not be able to get original parts but I should be able to adapt and fab to get it to look somewhat like it did when new.

Attachments

• End.jpg
    End.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 625
  • Crank.jpg
    Crank.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 600
  • Flywheel.jpg
    Flywheel.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 596
Can I get four of those for my truck? That should make rush hour really interesting! Road rage anyone?

You can also use them to balance mower blades...slick...

Ok, not to over do it but, a picture just popped into my head:

Guy holding a large round with this thing burried deep in it and a Geo Metro spinning wildly around on the other end!

MrGriz said:
Ok, not to over do it but, a picture just popped into my head:

Guy holding a large round with this thing burried deep in it and a Geo Metro spinning wildly around on the other end!

Spewing diet Coke thru the nose is very uncomfortable indeed. That picture is now stuck in my head with me giggling like an idiot. (is it ok to call yourself names?) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.