Is it necessary to use insulated chimney liner inside a larger insulated metal chimney/flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trickyrabbit

Feb 21, 2022
Colorado
The wife wants to install a new EPA 2021 stove. We currently have what I assume is a custom built metal fireplace with refractory panels in the back, sitting on top of a brick and marble/granite hearth. The current flue is about 10" across and insulated. I assume I'd need to find out what it's rating is. It is on the inside of the house and goes straight up through the roof.

Anyway, she was talking about just having someone install a new chimney, cutting a new hole in the ceiling and roof. I think it is a bad idea. The wood stove we bought requires a "6 inch minimum diameter" stove pipe.

Could I just use 6" diameter stove pipe to connect it to the existing 10" pipe? Or would I need to run a 6" insulated liner inside the current 10" insulated metal flue? Or could I use plain, single wall stove pipe inside it?

I'm going to see if I can find a label on the current pipe with an inspection camera and will update.

I would post some pics of your current setup you want modify. I am sure people will have info that will help you.

The wife wants to install a new EPA 2021 stove. We currently have what I assume is a custom built metal fireplace with refractory panels in the back, sitting on top of a brick and marble/granite hearth. The current flue is about 10" across and insulated. I assume I'd need to find out what it's rating is. It is on the inside of the house and goes straight up through the roof.

Anyway, she was talking about just having someone install a new chimney, cutting a new hole in the ceiling and roof. I think it is a bad idea. The wood stove we bought requires a "6 inch minimum diameter" stove pipe.

Could I just use 6" diameter stove pipe to connect it to the existing 10" pipe? Or would I need to run a 6" insulated liner inside the current 10" insulated metal flue? Or could I use plain, single wall stove pipe inside it?

I'm going to see if I can find a label on the current pipe with an inspection camera and will update.
Is the fireplace a prefab unit? If so what is the make and model?

IMG_20220222_100539380.jpgIMG_20220222_100556840.jpgIMG_20220222_100611682.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: