Is it spring yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CowboyAndy said:
I'm itchin to get out there and cut!!!

Alas, if I didn't hate the cold and snow so much I'd be out there right now.
'
I hate winter also but still doing 3/4 cord a week!

Is the three fourths, or three to four?

LLigetfa said:
Is the three fourths, or three to four?
96 cu. ft. a week

Cut from the stump, bucked, split, stacked?

LLigetfa said:
Cut from the stump, bucked, split, stacked?
big silver maples 45 in. plus and yes Iam splitting it where it fell, stacking in my trailer then bring it home and pileing it up.(i dont stack when i get it home)but do stack it the trailer

Pretty good progress in this foul weather J ...good for you.

hey thanks for posting that J ...just say'en it was always my goal to have a future years wood C&S;-ed by spring but after 30 winters I keep losing that battle. Only for the reason that's there's little outdoor pursuits here in the winter and way too much happening in our few fair weather months.

Anyways you have the right idea doing that now...so props to you.

savageactor7 said:
hey thanks for posting that J ...just say'en it was always my goal to have a future years wood C&S;-ed by spring but after 30 winters I keep losing that battle. Only for the reason that's there's little outdoor pursuits here in the winter and way too much happening in our few fair weather months.

Anyways you have the right idea doing that now...so props to you.
hopeing by spring I can put down the saws and grab the kayaks and have some real fun!

There ya go best of luck brother...and Happy New year to you and the family.

I'm still cutting when I can, but there is now a lot of water in the woods after that early January thaw we had over the weekend. The past couple of days it really did feel like Spring weather; sort of like we should be tapping trees! Today is cold. We got another 3-4" snow last night so I cleaned driveways. Only thing that got cold was my face. Glad the wind waited until I finished.

You sure leave a lot of stump there. When I was cutting in the bush, if I did that the skidder operator would drag me back by the throat to recut the stump. I was on a slash job clearing an area for a coal fired generation plant and we were paid hourly plus a small bonus per acre over a preset number. I knew as soon as I got there that the bonus wasn't worth it since we were each given a strip to cut and when you were done, you were out of a job. I took my time stomping down the snow and cutting the stump low and made only one bonus acre per week while some guys were cutting waist height and getting one bonus acre per day. When they were done their strips, they got laid off while I was still on the job. Then they brought in the skidders which couldn't get over the tall stumps. The two of us that took our time to do it right and were still on the job, ended up recutting all the stumps the other guys left.

I was on another pipeline job where they hired local French cutters and I was one of a few English speakers there. The Frenchmen were quite devious and their hatred for the l'anglais was apparent. They did everything they could to make me look bad so that they could get their buddies jobs. I was cutting the stumps low the way you're supposed to and they were cutting them high, obviously faster. The foreman decided I should go work at the landing instead. The skidder operator was a Frenchman and being paid by the hour didn't mind taking it slow. At the landing, he would snap the brake on the mainline when dropping the load and the logs would bunch up with the buttons real tight. It took me forever to undo the chokers meanwhile the operator was BS'ing the foreman about me not knowing what I'm doing. When I was done, I complained to the foreman the skidder operator was incompetent and that he and the cutters were screwing him. The foreman sensing the conflict put a native friend of mine in my place. The next load the skidder operator dropped, he pulled the same stunt with the brake. My buddy yanked the operator off the skidder by the throat and threw him on the pile and told him to unbutton the ckokers and that if he tried it again, he'd be picking up his teeth with a broken arm. Long story short, I ended up with a cushy job supervising but to be honest, the days just dragged on and I would have preferred to be cutting.

LLigetfa said:
You sure leave a lot of stump there. When I was cutting in the bush, if I did that the skidder operator would drag me back by the throat to recut the stump. I was on a slash job clearing an area for a coal fired generation plant and we were paid hourly plus a small bonus per acre over a preset number. I knew as soon as I got there that the bonus wasn't worth it since we were each given a strip to cut and when you were done, you were out of a job. I took my time stomping down the snow and cutting the stump low and made only one bonus acre per week while some guys were cutting waist height and getting one bonus acre per day. When they were done their strips, they got laid off while I was still on the job. Then they brought in the skidders which couldn't get over the tall stumps. The two of us that took our time to do it right and were still on the job, ended up recutting all the stumps the other guys left.

I was on another pipeline job where they hired local French cutters and I was one of a few English speakers there. The Frenchmen were quite devious and their hatred for the l'anglais was apparent. They did everything they could to make me look bad so that they could get their buddies jobs. I was cutting the stumps low the way you're supposed to and they were cutting them high, obviously faster. The foreman decided I should go work at the landing instead. The skidder operator was a Frenchman and being paid by the hour didn't mind taking it slow. At the landing, he would snap the brake on the mainline when dropping the load and the logs would bunch up with the buttons real tight. It took me forever to undo the chokers meanwhile the operator was BS'ing the foreman about me not knowing what I'm doing. When I was done, I complained to the foreman the skidder operator was incompetent and that he and the cutters were screwing him. The foreman sensing the conflict put a native friend of mine in my place. The next load the skidder operator dropped, he pulled the same stunt with the brake. My buddy yanked the operator off the skidder by the throat and threw him on the pile and told him to unbutton the ckokers and that if he tried it again, he'd be picking up his teeth with a broken arm. Long story short, I ended up with a cushy job supervising but to be honest, the days just dragged on and I would have preferred to be cutting.
well its just firewood, I will cut them closer later before the stump grinder comes in.Not selling this wood as lumber.(and to work there sound more like a mma camp then lumbar camp)

So, anyone in northern NY want to come cut with me? I have such an itching to get out there that I would be willing to handl the cold, but none of the other people I cut with will go... and I refuse to cut alone.

smokinj said:
well its just firewood, I will cut them closer later before the stump grinder comes in.Not selling this wood as lumber.
Old habits die hard. Now and then as I'm stomping around the stump, I'm have this inner conflict knowing it would be easier to cut 20 inches higher and then recut the stump but then I have an imperfect round of firewood, for the big wedge I cut out of it. If the tree will go down with just a small wedge cut out of it, I will cut it 20 inches high. I know... it's a sickness. :roll:

LLigetfa said:
smokinj said:
well its just firewood, I will cut them closer later before the stump grinder comes in.Not selling this wood as lumber.
Old habits die hard. Now and then as I'm stomping around the stump, I'm have this inner conflict knowing it would be easier to cut 20 inches higher and then recut the stump but then I have an imperfect round of firewood, for the big wedge I cut out of it. If the tree will go down with just a small wedge cut out of it, I will cut it 20 inches high. I know... it's a sickness. :roll:
I cut them all at that height(no end to be a super man for fire wood) and my furance always has a little room to put a few more in if there if there small enough ITS ALL good!

LOL so you noticed that stump too, stumping is where I do 95% of my plunge cuts. I want to be able to drive over that stump.

savageactor7 said:
LOL so you noticed that stump too, stumping is where I do 95% of my plunge cuts. I want to be able to drive over that stump.
you must be driving a vette 12 in. stump. man i need you guys over here to do my felling for me! Are you any good with a stump grinder?lol I really cant see cutting one any closer.If you do you have been doing alot longer than I.

savageactor7 said:
He Hee... that's how I was taught. Not only drive over them in 3rd gear but also skid out the trees without the chokers getting hung up on them and busting. Was also taught to take the wedge out of the stump, not the market wood. In the old days they scaled you on the diameter of the butt.

LLigetfa said:
savageactor7 said:
He Hee... that's how I was taught. Not only drive over them in 3rd gear but also skid out the trees without the chokers getting hung up on them and busting. Was also taught to take the wedge out of the stump, not the market wood. In the old days they scaled you on the diameter of the butt.
plunge cuts "cutting the wedge out of that 12 ins. thats left" may be good for you but Iam sticking with what i know.
That tree fell safe not logging boys just getting safe firewood! But if your ever in the area let me know you can show me the light!lol

Status
Not open for further replies.