Is my Meridian now a lawn ornament? Cracks in the bowl

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jimmy.james

Apr 8, 2022
Malakwa BC, Canada
meridian-1.jpeg

I purchased this beauty and PAINSTAKINGLY moved it to my home using what I would call Egyptian Redneck Engineering. Got it in place, then the guy who was going to install it ( familiar with this stove, he had done work on it before) said maybe we shouldn't because of these cracks in the bowl. As you can see, there are 3 cracks on the inside concrete, that go through. The worry was it would start leaking smoke, with no guaranteed timeline. 2 months? 2 years?

I love this thing. Is there any chance of salvation?

meridian-2.jpeg

The cracks won't "let the smoke out," instead they will let air into the stove making it uncontrollable and degrade faster. I think you may be able to seal the cracks, but Begreen's idea bout casting a new bowl would be the best option.

Eh, a cat stove! I’d think I’d try to cast a new one too. It’ll likely cost about 3 dollars a try, lol

Reactions: jimmy.james
Im pretty sure if you look up the manual for Meridians, the inner bowl is meant to be repaired when it cracks, thats a normal part if maintenance. I almost think the manual explains how to do the repair as well.

Neat stoves, almost picked one up in my journeys for my collection, but ended up passing because I dont wanna move it around lol

The repair info is in the maintenance manual. It recommends using CFC (Ceramic Fiber Composite) which is the material posted above in the Amazon link. The manual and maintenance manuals are located in the Hearth.com wiki here:

Im pretty sure if you look up the manual for Meridians, the inner bowl is meant to be repaired when it cracks, thats a normal part if maintenance. I almost think the manual explains how to do the repair as well.

Neat stoves, almost picked one up in my journeys for my collection, but ended up passing because I dont wanna move it around lol
It was quite the feat. Built a crate, put a tire on top to protect the chimney, lowered down to basement level with a tractor... rollers and plywood everywhere!

Reactions: D. Hermit
The repair info is in the maintenance manual. It recommends using CFC (Ceramic Fiber Composite) which is the material posted above in the Amazon link. The manual and maintenance manuals are located in the Hearth.com wiki here:
Thank you, this makes sense. I did have a look at that page and even that specific section, not putting 2 and 2 together that this also dealt with cracks, not just the cement breaking off over time.

Good luck. It's a beautiful stove. One other concern is with the basement installation. Basements can be tricky due to negative pressure. Something to keep in mind.

Reactions: SpaceBus