is receiver of wireless switch required to be in a box ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2009
NC
I bought this wireless switch, because of the great difficulty of wiring the luminaire the old-fashioned way:

Amazon product ASIN B07P9F1111
So it's two pieces: a remote, which you typiclly mount on a wall like a light switch. And a little receiver module that goes between the line-in and the luminaire load.

My question: Does code require the receiver module to be inside a box ? It's typically meant to be in the luminaire's box and/or it's canopy. But this luminaire is mounted in a "pancake" box (1/2" tall) and the canopy is quite small too. I can always add a box nearby to house the receiver, but I'd rather not.

FWIW, the connector screws of the receiver are inside a little plastic cover (so nothing is exposed).

That would depend on what the device's UL listing has to say about it. All building wiring is required to terminate at a box. If the device is listed as including a box, then you don't need to put the box inside another box.

On another note, is this device actually UL listed?

That would depend on what the device's UL listing has to say about it. All building wiring is required to terminate at a box. If the device is listed as including a box, then you don't need to put the box inside another box.
Makes sense.
On another note, is this device actually UL listed?
Darn, no it's not. CE listed, but I guess that doesn't really count. Better return it. Of course, none of them seem to be.

Last edited:
Makes sense.

Darn, no it's not. CE listed, but I guess that doesn't really count. Better return it. Of course, none of them seem to be.
Is the box on a joists? They make a box that has extra room on the side of the joists.

image.jpg

There are lots of those wireless remote control switches around. I think I saw them at HD. That one is RF, not IR like you TV control. Nice is you need to control a circuit through a wall.

I've done a few that are connected to the internet via wifi. I use them to control devices at the cabin.

Is the box on a joists? They make a box that has extra room on the side of the joists.
Actually it isn't. For some reason they put a piece of wood in-between the joists and flat against the drywall - hence the need for a pancake box. Why they did it this way, who knows; clearly (from this thread) there's some weird stuff in this house (recall from the OP that there was no box at all, and the wires were just taped), and I added the pancake box. So the box you pictured ("saddle" ?) would not fit. And I don't think it'd have room for the receiver anyhow. I would remove the piece of wood, but it's nailed in good and I'm afraid I'd mess up the drywall that it's right up against.

I think I'll just put the receiver in its own metal box, nearby. Not being UL listed, hopefully that'll contain it if it bursts into flames. Or maybe I'll man-up and run a piece of romex.

Reactions: EbS-P