Is there a 'cap' for unused fireplace/chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MBG2003

Jan 18, 2018
Central Florida
Another chimney question. I also have a second fireplace. The previous owner put an 'electric' fireplace in it using it for a heat source I think as this small addition does not have chase from hvac. Is there a flue 'cap', as right now it has a floor tile covering the top. 12" x12". Thank you.

Another chimney question. I also have a second fireplace. The previous owner put an 'electric' fireplace in it using it for a heat source I think as this small addition does not have chase from hvac. Is there a flue 'cap', as right now it has a floor tile covering the top. 12" x12". Thank you.
Yes go to Lowe's and fine the end cap of 6 inch and 8 inch pipes

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

Yes go to Lowe's and fine the end cap of 6 inch and 8 inch pipes

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk
Uhmm...no. He said it was 12x12.

If it has a damper in place and it's closed and you just want a cap to cover the flue to keep water out then you can get a chimney cap to cover the top of the chimney. Stainless is better than galvanized. WAY better. If there is no damper and you're sending all the heat up the chimney then you need a top sealing damper/cap.

You could have a 13 x 13 sheet of 22 gauge stainless cut for you and silicone it to the flue tile. If you do this, put a metal tag in the fireplace that says Chimney Blocked. Do not use without removing cap on chimney top.

You could have a 13 x 13 sheet of 22 gauge stainless cut for you and silicone it to the flue tile. If you do this, put a metal tag in the fireplace that says Chimney Blocked. Do not use without removing cap on chimney top.
Yes but I meself tend to discourage this as it locks moisture in the chimney with no way to breathe and you end up with weird stuff growing in the dark damp chimney. A standard stainless chimney cap has always been my preference but that's just me.

Yes but I meself tend to discourage this as it locks moisture in the chimney with no way to breathe and you end up with weird stuff growing in the dark damp chimney. A standard stainless chimney cap has always been my preference but that's just me.
Ok- understand re mold growth here in Florida- I will look for a simple 12" x12" cap. Thank you all. Now for that concret top.....

Ok- understand re mold growth here in Florida- I will look for a simple 12" x12" cap. Thank you all. Now for that concret top.....
The suggestion there is to not do concrete. Instead install a metal chimney crown cover.

Is there a 'cap' for unused fireplace/chimney? Is there a 'cap' for unused fireplace/chimney?