Is there a Cheaper more basic boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
I expect cord wood to be cheaper as a fuel because it’s not a manufactured product. Lots of middle men making profits.

Reactions: sloeffle

S.Whiplash

Oct 28, 2012
I used to go through 2 bags a day with tax thats $14 worth,. You do a have a point depends what your paying for wood how much is a face cord of wood in equivalent of pellet bags?

A ton of wood pellets can be purchased for aprox. $200, that brings down the cost of each 40 lb. bag to around $4.00. A bag of soft-wood pellets contains aprox. 8,000 BTU the equivalent of 2.5 gallons of heating oil or 3.75 gals. of propane. The wood comparison would depend on the species and moisture content but a ton of pellets can be stored in 30% of the space a ton of cordwood can due to higher desnity.

Reactions: Highbeam

hyfire

Minister of Fire
Aug 3, 2013
Ont, Canada
I based my data on 8500 btu per lb of pellets and an average of 20 Million btu for a full cord of wood, which is very conserative. The price in Canada is way more than in the USA for the pellets. I still say if you have the room the normal wood is better since you can burn any wood you can get , which is easier usually than pellets.