Is there conditioned air in a DV Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tommygii

Dec 15, 2020
carmel, in
I recently replaced a couple humidifiers in bedrooms upstairs. I am running two Vornado UH100 ultrasonic cool mist humidifiers and they appear to affect the flame on my natural gas Mendota FV44i (and probably all other gas appliances).

I began noticing the burners on my gas stove had very large orange tips, and my FV44i gas insert has taller, oranger flames that almost have a cloudy brown edge. I figured I needed to clean or make an adjustment to both, but then today both were working normally again. I thought that was odd. Then in the evening, I realized both humidifiers were dry, so I refilled and restarted them. By the time I walked back downstairs, my fireplace had the orange/brown flames again. I checked the stove, and it was orange again too. At first I thought there might be a

I thought the fireplace should be pulling unconditioned outside air, and wouldn't be affected. Is the indoor air expected to affect the flame like this?

Amazon product ASIN B07X5YVSRF

Your direct vent unit does NOT use air from inside the home.
It draws air in from outside the home thru the intake side of the DV.
The humidifiers should have no effect on either of your appliances.

This is not mine, but this video shows pretty much exactly what I'm seeing on both my stove and DV fireplace (and I assume hot water heater and furnace too).

I understand the stove, but as you say the fireplace should be drawing air from outside. So I'm surprised to see the effect there.

It seems the humidifiers are putting sodium from the water into the air. I think I won't be using them anymore. Just not sure if I should also be further looking into why my indoor air is affecting my fireplace flame (maybe it's own problem).

Wondering if that is a gas pressure issue? Have seen that on cook stoves before... should not be affecting a DV unit, the inside air I mean..