Q&A Is there enough air for stove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We're really perplexed about this one. We've got a real tight home- but the woodstove we've (yikes!) already ordered doesn't have an outside air intake. We have a 4" hole in the wall behind the hearth. Is it a good idea to just bring air in behind the stove- or will it cause a draft? We ordered a Dovre Aurora - does it take air from the floor level? We live in a cold place!

Answer:

There is a decent chance that- even though your house is tight- there will be enough air for the stove without opening the hole. A house that is too tight provides poor indoor air quality- and if you are sensitive to odors from carpet- furniture- etc...could be uncomfortable. My house is tight- but my wife always leaves a window cracked for fresh air. You will have to experiment a bit- you may need to open the hole just to get it started- and then - once it is going- you can close it--only time will tell. I am not familiar with Dovre- but the draft control is probably under the stove (many similar stoves operate this way). If so- it would definitely be possible to make some sort of a manifold to pipe the air in.

Status
Not open for further replies.