Is This A Fake Fisher Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Todd67

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2012
Northern NY
It's been repaired on the sides and back. The ash fender doesn't look authentic, it's just plate steel with no channel iron around it. It has the older Grandpa Bear doors with Fisher on one door and Stoves on the other door. It also has the one piece top. Looks like the stove was cut completely in half, then welded back together.

I have my doubts on this one. What do you think?

https://potsdam.craigslist.org/for/d/fisher-wood-stove-for-sale/6733489175.html

01010_8NRQsim2mfU_1200x900.jpg
00c0c_dfSnEJyaQqE_1200x900.jpg
00404_h2ieNH5AL4F_1200x900.jpg

Maybe they had to cut it in half to get it through the door! :eek:
Looks real to me. 6 bricks across the back make it a Grandpa.
Every ash shelf I've ever seen (and I've owned probably a dozen different Fisher stoves over the years) has always had channel around it.

Defiantly and older model. Coaly has a picture of one here on post #16 https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...pa-bear-details-fireplace-series.69448/page-3

Last edited:
Reactions: Todd67
The similar stove that Coaly shows has the traditional ash fender with the channel iron around the edge.

There are plenty of Fisher clones that used the same dimensions, so it would be possible for clone stoves to have the same brick layout. Fisher doors will fit onto clone stoves too. Makes it hard to spot a fake sometimes.

Last edited:
It's probably real, the doors are not common and the few I've seen have had the channel iron around ash fender. Can't answer why they repaired or plated the sides the way they did. Most or all of that style door I've seen in NY. Here's another from NY.

Fisher Stoves Doors NY facebook.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-1_18-48-52.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-1_18-48-52.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 319
It's probably real, the doors are not common and the few I've seen have had the channel iron around ash fender. Can't answer why they repaired or plated the sides the way they did. Most or all of that style door I've seen in NY. Here's another from NY.

View attachment 232266
If you look at the pics of the inside it was clearly cut inhalf under that plate. Not sure why but to me that would be a big problem. I think that stove is scrap. Or a few parts. I wouldnt use it.

I would love to hear the reason why anyone would cut a stove in half and weld it back together.
Perhaps they had a really big piece of wood that wouldn't fit through the doors and a broken chain saw.
I would give them $100 for the doors and ball feet.

Reactions: Todd67 and bholler
I cant figure out that ash fender. I dont think Bob Fisher would've allowed that to be sold without the channel iron edge. But I like the doors and the ball feet too. I don't like the repair, and I'm also curious about why it was repaired.

"Butcher Bear" !!!

The ash fender was normally welded all the way across, so maybe that was cut off too and this plate was welded on.

Very funny, Coaly;lol

That stove must have been damaged pretty badly by something. Maybe the house or garage it was inside of collapsed onto the stove.

I'd love to have an original, un-butchered Fisher stove with those doors on it, but I don't consider that stove a true Fisher after what's been done to it.

It looks like all three of my Fishers have the ash fender welded on from the bottom of the stove. That same seller is also selling a Kodiak stove with the correct Fisher style ash fender. But the Kodiak is un-butchered.

Very funny, Coaly;lol

That stove must have been damaged pretty badly by something. Maybe the house or garage it was inside of collapsed onto the stove.

I'd love to have an original, un-butchered Fisher stove with those doors on it, but I don't consider that stove a true Fisher after what's been done to it.

It looks like all three of my Fishers have the ash fender welded on from the bottom of the stove. That same seller is also selling a Kodiak stove with the correct Fisher style ash fender. But the Kodiak is un-butchered.
I would bet it was cut to move it either to make it more managable or to fit through a door.

The only reason I can figure this stove was cut in half was to get it down a basement or into a tight spot.
My guess is it went into an unfinished basement where welding wouldn't be a problem.