Is this a good Stihl chainsaw purchase?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, a high power to weight ratio facilitates faster work over a longer period of time. That's pretty significant for an aborist who spends a large fraction of every day running a saw. There's also the question of dealer support; it's problematic if the dealer who can fix your work tools is far away or takes a while to obtain parts. For us amateur firewood cutters, though, the pro saws are more fun than they are a necessity.

You make a good point, but I'll add that for those who depend on firewood for heating their homes, the advantages of a pro saw can make them the best fit for the job and not just more fun than they are a necessity.

If you have a longer heating season or heat a larger home, you'll need more firewood. Personally, I have little time to process firewood, so I need things to be as efficient as possible. In addition, I've used "farm/ranch" level saws with antiquated antivibration (290 for instance). The extra weight, vibrations, and longer time in the cut do take their toll on me during long cutting sessions.

Reactions: Ashful
I'll second that. I processed 14 cords in 2013. Two kids, dual career family, renovating and expanding a big old farm house... Very little time for processing all that wood. We need about 8 cords/ year.

Looks to be fairly new. It's got that Elastostart button on T handle. Something I've only seen as of late.

I think you should buy a saw....

Reactions: jeffesonm
I haven't seen it mentioned, but I was looking at a local dealer and they had the MS311 (60cc) for $499.

Neal Murphy is a stand up guy, I wouldn't worry about a purchase from him if you want a Stihl.

Status
Not open for further replies.