Is this cavitation noise?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Babu

Feb 17, 2015
Rochester
I recently drained and refilled the boiler with 400 gallons of tap water and Chemworld Wood Boiler anticorrosion chemical. I had to weld some leaks on it due to firebox acid corrosion.

I have a Taco 007 cast iron pump. I started the pump with cold water and everything quieted down after purging air and securing the pump for vibration. I added 2 quarts of Hercules boiler Liquid Stop Leak to 400 gallons of boiler water. I shut off the valves and pump in the middle of adding it. I then heated it up to 180 degrees and opened the valves and turned back on the pump. There is a drip leg coming out of the boiler to help keep particles from entering the pump.

The pump is now making a strange noise. What is this noise?

Thank You.

Let the temp go down again before turning the circ on again , see if it still makes the noise, sounds more abrasive in nature. The cavitation I've heard sounds more like a muted popping sound. Do you have another circ you could try?

Sounds like a dry circ. Are you sure you have your isolation valves open?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Can you isolate the pump and open it up to look at the impeller?

It sounds like a piece of something is stuck in there to me. Stop leak particles?

If you have isolation valves, sometimes pulsing them closed, then open might sent a slug of water to flush out something, with little time invested.