Babu Posted By Babu, Apr 19, 2017 at 3:13 AM

1. Babu

Babu
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 17, 2015
    Loc:
    Rochester
    I recently drained and refilled the boiler with 400 gallons of tap water and Chemworld Wood Boiler anticorrosion chemical. I had to weld some leaks on it due to firebox acid corrosion.

I have a Taco 007 cast iron pump. I started the pump with cold water and everything quieted down after purging air and securing the pump for vibration. I added 2 quarts of Hercules boiler Liquid Stop Leak to 400 gallons of boiler water. I shut off the valves and pump in the middle of adding it. I then heated it up to 180 degrees and opened the valves and turned back on the pump. There is a drip leg coming out of the boiler to help keep particles from entering the pump.

The pump is now making a strange noise. What is this noise?

Thank You.

2. TCaldwell

TCaldwell
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2007
    Loc:
    860-868-9014 h 203 948 0864 c nw corner ct.
    Let the temp go down again before turning the circ on again , see if it still makes the noise, sounds more abrasive in nature. The cavitation I've heard sounds more like a muted popping sound. Do you have another circ you could try?

3. Fred61

Fred61
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 26, 2008
    Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    Sounds like a dry circ. Are you sure you have your isolation valves open?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

4. lotawood

lotawood
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2011
    Loc:
    montana
    Can you isolate the pump and open it up to look at the impeller?

It sounds like a piece of something is stuck in there to me. Stop leak particles?

If you have isolation valves, sometimes pulsing them closed, then open might sent a slug of water to flush out something, with little time invested.