Is this chainsaw sprocket worn yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
I was about to install a brand new chain but not if the sprocket is overly worn.
455 Husky Rancher

Sprocket_2024.jpg

It's getting worn...
Probably over 50 % of max wear. I would use it, but replace it if i was selling the saw

OK thanks I'm amazed how long its lasted. Same Sprocket since 2006 and I cut about 4 cord per year.
It pays to stick with OEM.

I've read lots of contradictory advice how to remove the sprocket. Some say if you use a rope to stop the piston you can bend the crank, use a piston stop you'll damage the piston, use a impact wrench and you'll break the shaft key. Jeeze I gotta believe there is a fool proof way.

Every clutch i remove is done by leaving in the spark plug and using an impact wrench,
And they are left hand threads
Only a few old saws have a key in the clutch
I have done a hundred or so

Reactions: fire_man and johneh
Every clutch i remove is done by leaving in the spark plug and using an impact wrench,
And they are left hand threads
Only a few old saws have a key in the clutch
I have done a hundred or so
X2

Reactions: fire_man
Removal with the impact wrench makes the most sense.
It's odd seems all the "how to" videos show using the rope-in-cylinder method with a punch/hammer on the clutch.
None even mention the impact wrench. I don't like the idea of jamming rope in and I can't imagine the shops do it that way.

I'm gonna order the $12 clutch removal socket and spin it off with an impact wrench.

Reactions: johneh
On one saw I do 2-3 cords a year. Now 20 years into it I never looked at the sprocket. I do run razor sharp chains, which I think could help. What's the down side of just running it until nothing is left. Since your always pulling a load, the backlash isn't much of an issue.

What's the down side of just running it until nothing is left. Since your always pulling a load, the backlash isn't much of an issue.
I was wondering the same thing. I've seen photos of sprockets worn so badly the chain was skipping.

My small engine repair guy just looked at the sprocket and said leave it alone.
He said he does not use a rope when changing it, every so often that causes problems.
Also said he uses a piston stop with the impact gun, sometimes the crank spins if you don't.
I would think there's no harm in trying without the stop first.

Last edited:
Stops poke holes in pistons...
Rope gets into transfer passages and gets jammed in them...
Have never had an issue with an impact leaving the spark plug in and if i don't have a tool for the clutch i usually make one. Or a hammer and blunt chisel with the spark plug in works as well.
Just make sure the switch is off or spark plug lead is off the plug.These engines can run backwards
I have zero piston stops, but a number of clutch removal tools i made.

Reactions: fire_man
All my clutch removal tools are homemade out of sockets I have pickup at sales over the years. Just leave the plug in . Plug wire off and use a impact. Now days I just use my cordless impact. Been doing it this way for forty years and never had a issue.

Reactions: salecker
I'm surprised the engine repair guy would always use a stop with the impact gun.
Why not try the impact first and if the crank spins then use the stop. He's been repairing chainsaws for 30+ years.

I'm surprised the engine repair guy would always use a stop with the impact gun.
Why not try the impact first and if the crank spins then use the stop. He's been repairing chainsaws for 30+ years.

Impact and piston stop seems like a good way to break a piston.

I use a rope and socket. Nice and gentle.

Some times things can get away from you if your not paying attention
Is this chainsaw sprocket worn yet?