Is this chimney work estimate reasonable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

streetd4wg

Dec 19, 2021
Philadelphia
Hi, calling all chimney experts

We live just outside Philadelphia and received an estimate from a chimney company to PCR clean (when we asked how bad it is, he said it was roughly creosote build up stage 1.5), apply HeatShield due to some cracks and shifted flue tiles, and use smoke chamber spray. We have 1 fireplace/chimney. The total cost of the job would be about $5200 with the full description and breakdown below:

PCR Cleaning, Heat Shield and Smoke Chamber Spray: ____ was at your home on 12/15 to perform a cleaning and inspection of your chimney. Upon inspection, creosote buildup was observed in the chimney. We recommend performing a Poultice Creosote Removal (PCR) cleaning of this chimney. This will be done over two visits. On the first visit, we will drop a sponge from the top of the chimney to the base of the flue. We will then pour the PCR down the chimney and pull the sponge up using a winch. Once the PCR cures, we will return to remove any residual debris. Shifted flue tiles were also observed in the chimney, which can allow smoke to escape the flue. At this time we will perform the Heat Shield procedure. This is done similarly to the PCR cleaning, but reseals the cracks and shifted flue tiles using insulated concrete that can withstand temperatures up to 3000 degrees. Furthermore, cracks were observed in the smoke chamber. We recommend resealing these cracks using smoke chamber spray. This spray is applied using a pressurized cannister.

The prices on this estimate are contingent upon agreeing to all proposed tasks simultaneously.

Description: Your Price

1. CleaningChemical Poultice Creosote Removal (PCR) Cleaning: $2,070.00
  2. HeatShield4Hr HeatShield: $1,916.00
  3. SmokeChamber Smoke Chamber Spray: $1,362.00
CLNdiscount Cleaning Discount: $-157.00

Potential Savings $0.00

Sub-Total $5,191.00

Tax $0.00

Total $5,191.00

What we are curious about is if we necessarily need all this work and if this seems really steep or reasonable as we don't have much experience with this. Keep in mind, we already paid about $100 for an inspection. We just don't want to be taken advantage of if this seems like a ridiculous price or oversell. I attached 2 photos but can try getting more if it helps.

Thanks and appreciate any help!

PXL_20211217_002924253.jpg PXL_20211217_002933982.jpg

Hi, calling all chimney experts

We live just outside Philadelphia and received an estimate from a chimney company to PCR clean (when we asked how bad it is, he said it was roughly creosote build up stage 1.5), apply HeatShield due to some cracks and shifted flue tiles, and use smoke chamber spray. We have 1 fireplace/chimney. The total cost of the job would be about $5200 with the full description and breakdown below:

PCR Cleaning, Heat Shield and Smoke Chamber Spray: ____ was at your home on 12/15 to perform a cleaning and inspection of your chimney. Upon inspection, creosote buildup was observed in the chimney. We recommend performing a Poultice Creosote Removal (PCR) cleaning of this chimney. This will be done over two visits. On the first visit, we will drop a sponge from the top of the chimney to the base of the flue. We will then pour the PCR down the chimney and pull the sponge up using a winch. Once the PCR cures, we will return to remove any residual debris. Shifted flue tiles were also observed in the chimney, which can allow smoke to escape the flue. At this time we will perform the Heat Shield procedure. This is done similarly to the PCR cleaning, but reseals the cracks and shifted flue tiles using insulated concrete that can withstand temperatures up to 3000 degrees. Furthermore, cracks were observed in the smoke chamber. We recommend resealing these cracks using smoke chamber spray. This spray is applied using a pressurized cannister.

The prices on this estimate are contingent upon agreeing to all proposed tasks simultaneously.

Description: Your Price

1. CleaningChemical Poultice Creosote Removal (PCR) Cleaning: $2,070.00
  2. HeatShield4Hr HeatShield: $1,916.00
  3. SmokeChamber Smoke Chamber Spray: $1,362.00
CLNdiscount Cleaning Discount: $-157.00

Potential Savings $0.00

Sub-Total $5,191.00

Tax $0.00

Total $5,191.00

What we are curious about is if we necessarily need all this work and if this seems really steep or reasonable as we don't have much experience with this. Keep in mind, we already paid about $100 for an inspection. We just don't want to be taken advantage of if this seems like a ridiculous price or oversell. I attached 2 photos but can try getting more if it helps.

Thanks and appreciate any help!

View attachment 288041 View attachment 288042
Stage 1.5 creosote???? That's a new one. How did they try to clean the chimney? From what I see I seriously doubt it needs PCR

Stage 1.5 creosote???? That's a new one. How did they try to clean the chimney? From what I see I seriously doubt it needs PCR
That's what he said (I guess it just means between stage 1 and 2), but they could also be misguiding us. We just moved into this house and don't know much about its history so it wouldn't be terribly surprising.

They didn't try to clean the chimney. We called to schedule and inspection + cleaning (standard). When they came they looked up the fireplace and recommended PCR cleaning instead. I'm just not sure if all (or any) of this work they recommended is really necessary or if it might be ok with just a standard cleaning. He did notice some small cracks between mortar and stone outside on our chimney which is where the smoke chamber spray recommendation came in.

That's what he said (I guess it just means between stage 1 and 2), but they could also be misguiding us. We just moved into this house and don't know much about its history so it wouldn't be terribly surprising.

They didn't try to clean the chimney. We called to schedule and inspection + cleaning (standard). When they came they looked up the fireplace and recommended PCR cleaning instead. I'm just not sure if all (or any) of this work they recommended is really necessary or if it might be ok with just a standard cleaning. He did notice some small cracks between mortar and stone outside on our chimney which is where the smoke chamber spray recommendation came in.
Yes the smoke chamber should be parged. But typically PCR is only required for extensive stage 3 creosote

Reactions: streetd4wg
The following is mostly a question for @bholler but anyone else should feel free to chime in…. I’m thinking that this level of expensive cleaning is only necessary if @streetd4wg wants to keep using an open fireplace? My understanding is that for about the same amount of money one could get a only a basic cleaning and parging and then purchase an insulated chimney liner as well as a basic “entry level” fireplace insert, and thus get a bit more value for the money: both at the moment and certainly going forward in future. Am I understanding about this correctly? In other word, is my understanding correct that a masonry chimney doesn’t need to be squeaky clean in order to successfully be switched over to a liner for a stove or stove insert?

The following is mostly a question for @bholler but anyone else should feel free to chime in…. I’m thinking that this level of expensive cleaning is only necessary if @streetd4wg wants to keep using an open fireplace? My understanding is that for about the same amount of money one could get a only a basic cleaning and parging and then purchase an insulated chimney liner as well as a basic “entry level” fireplace insert, and thus get a bit more value for the money: both at the moment and certainly going forward in future. Am I understanding about this correctly? In other word, is my understanding correct that a masonry chimney doesn’t need to be squeaky clean in order to successfully be switched over to a liner for a stove or stove insert?
It actually needs cleaned better in preparation for a liner install. But honestly if it was bad enough to need PCR I would just remove the clay tiles. It is faster and cheaper.

It actually needs cleaned better in preparation for a liner install. But honestly if it was bad enough to need PCR I would just remove the clay tiles. It is faster and cheaper.
Thanks @bholler this is a wealth of information. I appreciate it. It would be great if it was fit to use after a regular cleaning. Honestly, we would probably start a fire only a few times a year so don't want to do unnecessary work here. Do you (or anyone else) have an opinion on the HeatShield part to the quote and if that would be necessary?

I would call another sweep and get their take. Look for one with a csia certificate.
Thanks! We're considering another take on this, and found another sweep we might call once the season is over that is CSIA certified. It's just that each time someone comes out it's another $100+ so wanted to see what people think of this initial assessment since we weren't confident in whether it's reasonable or overselling.

Just an update, we had another (more reputable) chimney sweep come out and to our surprise they said there's no creosote or reason to do any of this work. The only problem was a crack in tile near the top of the chimney but it's above the roof line so not much of an issue. We got the go ahead to use it and it's been working great! Thanks for all your help!

Reactions: bholler
Just an update, we had another (more reputable) chimney sweep come out and to our surprise they said there's no creosote or reason to do any of this work. The only problem was a crack in tile near the top of the chimney but it's above the roof line so not much of an issue. We got the go ahead to use it and it's been working great! Thanks for all your help!
Wow .... crooks with "your house will burn down" scare tactics....despicable.
Good to hear you found the right opinion.

Wow .... crooks with "your house will burn down" scare tactics....despicable.
Good to hear you found the right opinion.
Yes sadly there are a fair number of those guys in our industry.

I mean I will occasionally say something to that effect but it has to be really bad. My typical answer to a setup I have some safety concerns with is that if it was in my home I wouldn't use it.

Yes sadly there are a fair number of those guys in our industry.

I mean I will occasionally say something to that effect but it has to be really bad. My typical answer to a setup I have some safety concerns with is that if it was in my home I wouldn't use it.
Yeah that makes sense. Thanks for all your help here - it pointed us in the right direction to spend on another inspection rather than extensive work. We would have probably given up on our chimney if the cost to remediate was actually $5000+. But now we've had 3 fires and no issues!

Reactions: bholler
Yeah that makes sense. Thanks for all your help here - it pointed us in the right direction to spend on another inspection rather than extensive work. We would have probably given up on our chimney if the cost to remediate was actually $5000+. But now we've had 3 fires and no issues!

Please post a review on yelp/google regarding the first company so they are less likely to scam others down the road!