Is this way of pellet stove venting ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dsm1gb

Sep 26, 2018
California
Hi everyone this is my first post on this particular website. I’m brand new to stoves in general.

I have a mobile home, and have just installed my pellet stove. I have a 45 out the wall, to a T with clean out, and then a 4 foot straight up to a horizontal cap vent.

It vents a few feet just below the car port. The carport is completely open aside from the roof.

My outside air is approximately 8 feet below the vent cap. Do I need to cut a hole and continue the piping and vent through the carport roof? Or will it be ok the way it is. My concern isn’t soot or discoloration of the roof, but more of sucking back in Carbon monoxide.

The pictures are only showing mock up, I haven’t yet sealed them.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• F26319E1-2A0C-443D-88C7-4781D160FC45.jpeg
    F26319E1-2A0C-443D-88C7-4781D160FC45.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 298
  • 71970CB8-9573-435D-9F4B-9425C5D8996E.jpeg
    71970CB8-9573-435D-9F4B-9425C5D8996E.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 304
  • 1709E6DE-E856-4723-96D3-79D1C33A1583.jpeg
    1709E6DE-E856-4723-96D3-79D1C33A1583.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 286
You will have to check with your building code. But im pretty sure that is not allowed to have it venting under a rood like that in country. Also that black pipe is that insulated pellet stove pipe? If not that will probably be against code as well. The connection to the back of the stove does not look like a proper connection as well.. Almost looks like u used wood stove piping and through the wall fittings? Is that went cap blowing back towards teh house?
Code in my area follows manufacturers install directions.

You will have to check with your building code. But im pretty sure that is not allowed to have it venting under a roof like that in country. Also that black pipe is that insulated pellet stove pipe? If not that will probably be against code as well. The connection to the back of the stove does not look like a proper connection as well.. Almost looks like u used wood stove piping and through the wall fittings? Is that went cap blowing back towards teh house?
Code in my area follows manufacturers install directions.

Thanks for the reply.

The piping on the outside is Duravent double wall piping. It was in the pellet stove section not sure on the exact specifics.

The inside piping is the same as well, I just used a flue adapter to 4” piping right through the thimble that connects to the T. It’s not fully seated in the picture just for reference.

The vent is blowing away from the house.

Last edited:
From the install manual:
The exhaust vent may terminate into an open space. Under no circumstances is the vent allowed to terminate into closed or semiclosed spaces. Venting into a garage, under a sun deck, porch or any other space where the concentration of fumes may occur is prohibited.
Your local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) have take exception to your set-up.

From the install manual:
The exhaust vent may terminate into an open space. Under no circumstances is the vent allowed to terminate into closed or semiclosed spaces. Venting into a garage, under a sun deck, porch or any other space where the concentration of fumes may occur is prohibited.
Your local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) have take exception to your set-up.

Ah I see. Thanks for the reply. I bought this stove used and didn’t get a manual. Wasn’t sure if this was written in stone or just a way to cover themselves. I’ll go ahead and do it the right way and send it through the roof of the carport. I work at a fab shop so I can have something made. Thanks again

Reactions: DAKSY
Does this venting length out of the top of the carport need to be extended? Or is it ok the way it is? I read something like 3 feet above the roof but technically this isn’t my roof so does the same still apply?

Attachments

• 30082D80-A5C5-44B0-853F-9C340230AFCB.jpeg
    30082D80-A5C5-44B0-853F-9C340230AFCB.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 191
  • C32E4A08-6D08-483E-A42C-F2A7D6B86D29.jpeg
    C32E4A08-6D08-483E-A42C-F2A7D6B86D29.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 189
What is the flashing for? From what I read on the internet it’s just to prevent leaks? Or is it for heat? Also I’m going today to swap out for a vertical termination cap.