Issues with Harman P43. First time poster.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Danno_99

Nov 25, 2022
Hey all,
This is my first time posting here and I'm pretty stupid, so please be gentle.
I bought this stove about 10? years ago and I feel like I've been cursed. It's worked fine for short periods of time, but mostly it's been not used at all because of various issues. I've had every pellet stove maintenance person within 50 miles visit me for deep cleaning, tune ups, repairs, etc, and everytime the stove would work fine for a few weeks and then go back to not igniting, etc. I shut it down for a few years and decided to give it another try this year and I had success for about 3 weeks, but now the latest issue is that the feeder will stop feeding, and the first time it happened, I got 6 blinks error code. I tried it again a few days later and the same thing happened, but with 5 blinks this time?
I have a call into yet another person that does repairs, but haven't heard anything probably because of the holidays. Someone suggested that changing the wire that runs into the exhaust could be the issue, but I have no idea how to fix, replace that?
Can anyone offer some suggestions while I wait for someone local to contact me? I'll provide more details if you can be specific.

Thanks!
Dan in NH

Hey welcome...Do you have the owners manual ? The wire /wires you mention is for the ESP, Exhaust Sensor Probe.. It can regulate stove functions per exhaust temps....Here is a link for codes..

Sounds like an issue with the ESP probe. Remove, clean with fine steel wool until shiny, replace. When you tighten the screw, be sure it is in firmly. Also, check the plate under the burn pot to make sure it is seated properly. Check the fines box cover for proper seating and tightness.

I don't have an answer to your current problem, but want to comment on your issue of lighting at about 3 weeks after a service call then not lighting. My P43 fills with ash under the burn pot fairly quickly. If you get enough, that would cause the non-lighting becuase it would insulate the igniter. I remove the plate under the burn pot every couple of weeks and use a a couple of fingers to scoop out the ash. Replace the cover and all is good.

My P61a doesn't fill up the igniter area nearly like the P43 does. Not sure why, but the opposite is true with the fines box, so they each are treated a bit differently.

Hope you find a solution to your current issue

Reactions: Washed-Up
Hey all,
This is my first time posting here and I'm pretty stupid, so please be gentle.
I bought this stove about 10? years ago and I feel like I've been cursed. It's worked fine for short periods of time, but mostly it's been not used at all because of various issues. I've had every pellet stove maintenance person within 50 miles visit me for deep cleaning, tune ups, repairs, etc, and everytime the stove would work fine for a few weeks and then go back to not igniting, etc. I shut it down for a few years and decided to give it another try this year and I had success for about 3 weeks, but now the latest issue is that the feeder will stop feeding, and the first time it happened, I got 6 blinks error code. I tried it again a few days later and the same thing happened, but with 5 blinks this time?
I have a call into yet another person that does repairs, but haven't heard anything probably because of the holidays. Someone suggested that changing the wire that runs into the exhaust could be the issue, but I have no idea how to fix, replace that?
Can anyone offer some suggestions while I wait for someone local to contact me? I'll provide more details if you can be specific.

Thanks!
Dan in NH
Glad to see you made it here, I'm the one who suggested you post here from the Reddit forum.

As I said the ESP probe sounds like the likely culprit but I knew posting here would give you a better chance getting help.

Sam

Reactions: gfreek
Hey all, thanks for all the suggestions!
I just wanted to give an update here.
From my post "the latest issue is that the feeder will stop feeding, and the first time it happened, I got 6 blinks error code. I tried it again a few days later and the same thing happened, but with 5 blinks this time?" Now, after doing a deep clean, and cleaning out the pellet fines, I tried it again, and now it doesn't even feed :(
So I've gone from working fine, to a 6 blink error code, to a 5 blink error code, to the feeder not even starting.
It seems the more I try to correct things, the worse the issue becomes?
Do these patterns of degrading errors point to anything specific? Anything else I can try at this point?

Thanks!

Does the feeder work in test mode with all doors latched? Most likely @Mt Bob gave the correct answer, but thought we should establish whether it works at all at this point.

Does the feeder work in test mode with all doors latched? Most likely @Mt Bob gave the correct answer, but thought we should establish whether it works at all at this point.
The feeder doesn’t work on the test option. I tried reseating the fines cover. I have a problem where I can hardly fit my head between the back of my stove and my wall. It’s extremely hard for me to see what I’m doing back there!

The feeder doesn’t work on the test option. I tried reseating the fines cover. I have a problem where I can hardly fit my head between the back of my stove and my wall. It’s extremely hard for me to see what I’m doing back there!
After reseating the fines cover, the stove will now feed on the test setting, but does NOT start when trying to fire it up.
I’m beyond frustrated at this point. This stove has given me issues for years.
Is there anything else I can check next?

After reseating the fines cover, the stove will now feed on the test setting, but does NOT start when trying to fire it up.

This may sound weird but can you "smell" the igniter getting hot? Like when a baseboard or radiator gets hot you can kinda smell it as the pipes or metal gets hot. I can "smell" when my igniter is on (that metal is hot type smell) and there is a bit of warmth you can feel right next to the stove.

sam

That fines cover can be frustrating until you've done it enough that all you need to do is feel it, not see it.

since the feeder does work on test, that argues for: 1) an air disturbance, 2) a bad igniter (or not hooked up correctly/loose wire), or 3) perhaps a board issue.

This may sound weird but can you "smell" the igniter getting hot? Like when a baseboard or radiator gets hot you can kinda smell it as the pipes or metal gets hot. I can "smell" when my igniter is on (that metal is hot type smell) and there is a bit of warmth you can feel right next to the stove.

sam
Don't even need to smell it. Let the stove try to start for about 8 minutes then open the firebox door and (carefully) stick your hand on the pellets.
  • If it feels hot, then there is likely an air disturbance somewhere (the plate under the firepot is not seated properly, or it is not getting enough air from the intake).
  • If it is luke-warm, most likely the igniter is on its way out
  • If it just feels cold, the igniter has an issue - whether it is the igniter, a wire came loose, or the board is not telling the igniter to function - those would be the questions.
I might have forgotten something there - @Mt Bob is the expert so he would know better.

If you struggle with feeder cover, take screws loose for circuit board and hinge it open. That gives you a clear view of that area.
So now the auger will fill the burn pot with pellets, but it will not ignite? Like said before, See if the pot is getting hot. If its not the igniter is bad.

Wonder if this stove will start manually with some gel and continue to run ?

Reactions: Mt Bob
Yes, his statements do not give enough info,at all, more info is needed.
I just got home from work and I'll try the latest suggestions.
One thing I recall from a video online is cleaning out the exhaust behind the ash pot. It looked like someone had taken a very soft wire brush to clean it? Is there a sensor in there that I have to look out for when cleaning this??
Thanks again, stay tuned.

Yes the ESP sensor is in there. I run a soft 3" brush that came with my stove in and out from the hole behind the plate that covers the combustion blower. I take out the sensor when I clean the pipe at the end of season with a 4" pull through brush.
I take the control panel out and will take the cover off the distribution blower, straight screwdriver or 1/4" drive small socket set use the 5/16 for the cover screws, just lossen and the cover should push in or out to clear the screws, You will need a 1/4" socket for the ESP, longer extention, the bolt is a pain to put back in for me, take a small piece of paper towel and put in the socket then put the bolt in the socket this will kee it from falling out until you get it to where you need to get it. Pick up one or two of those little lights Habor Freight usually gives away at times. thay are great to use with a magnet to hold them in place.

I cleaned the exhaust from behind the ash pit, and tried it again, and this time it fired up like it should!
But it only burned what was in the pot and never fed any pellets and eventually burned out.
Yes the ESP sensor is in there. I run a soft 3" brush that came with my stove in and out from the hole behind the plate that covers the combustion blower. I take out the sensor when I clean the pipe at the end of season with a 4" pull through brush.
I take the control panel out and will take the cover off the distribution blower, straight screwdriver or 1/4" drive small socket set use the 5/16 for the cover screws, just lossen and the cover should push in or out to clear the screws, You will need a 1/4" socket for the ESP, longer extention, the bolt is a pain to put back in for me, take a small piece of paper towel and put in the socket then put the bolt in the socket this will kee it from falling out until you get it to where you need to get it. Pick up one or two of those little lights Habor Freight usually gives away at times. thay are great to use with a magnet to hold them in place.
I finally got the stove going last night after cleaning what I could from the hole behind the combustion blower?
I don't have a soft brush, and I could really use one. Does anyone know where I could pick one up?
Thanks for all your suggestions!

I cleaned the exhaust from behind the ash pit, and tried it again, and this time it fired up like it should!
But it only burned what was in the pot and never fed any pellets and eventually burned out.

I finally got the stove going last night after cleaning what I could from the hole behind the combustion blower?
I don't have a soft brush, and I could really use one. Does anyone know where I could pick one up?
I bought a 3 inch pellet stove vent brush from Lowe's. It has something like horsehair on it, it's not a stiff bristled thing like you'd think it would be. I'm sure any hardware store would have something like that in their stove section.

When I take out the ESP I use a stiff 4 inch pellet stove brush on a handle, .Mine increases to 4 inch after the collar.. If I Do Not take out the Exhaust Sensor Probe I use a soft bristle dryer vent brush, like below, so as not to damage the sensor

When I take out the ESP I use a stiff 4 inch pellet stove brush on a handle, .Mine increases to 4 inch after the collar.. If I Do Not take out the Exhaust Sensor Probe I use a soft bristle dryer vent brush, like below, so as not to damage the sensor

I appreciate this info. I happen to work at a Home Depot and I wasn't able to find a brush like this! I'll try online.
I'd like to add one more question without starting a new thread as it's a common question but I can't find an article with more info in it. Our bedroom is 90° from where our stove is and I understand I can use small computer like fans to direct the air, but they should pull the cold air and push it towards the warm air, is that correct? Do these small fans run on batteries? Any article that contains the info I need would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone who has responded to my posts!

Well maybe something like this ???

I appreciate this info. I happen to work at a Home Depot and I wasn't able to find a brush like this! I'll try online.
I'd like to add one more question without starting a new thread as it's a common question but I can't find an article with more info in it. Our bedroom is 90° from where our stove is and I understand I can use small computer like fans to direct the air, but they should pull the cold air and push it towards the warm air, is that correct? Do these small fans run on batteries? Any article that contains the info I need would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone who has responded to my posts!
I use 6 inch desk fans in our stairwell and a 15 inch fan on top of the stove to move air around. Some people use big box fans. The bigger the fan, the more air you'll move. Try something and see what you like.

I use an old crevice tool attachment that fit the hose on the ash vac we have. After you remove the cover plate over the fan, the crevice tool fits nicely into the opening, I can get it all the back to the bend in the piping. Yes I'm careful not to just shove it in there possibly damaging the ESP. This cleaning is done every month when shutting down the stove for it's cleaning.

sam