It's Fricken HOT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elderthewelder

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
well we broke a record here in Western Wa , it is officially 102 out, has been in the high 90's all week with no let up till Saturday. Keep in mind the majority of us here do not have A/C in our homes, hell I do not even have a fan, went to go buy one today and everyplace was sold out.

The thieves on C/L have their A/C units and fans marked up 200%. I am going to put my air mattress on my flatbed tonight and sleep outside and fight with the mosquito's, better than 110 degree bedroom. we are hotter than the majority of the country and this is Seattle, have not seen rain for quite some time

On a positive not, my wood stacks are seasoning well, cant wait for October

With our complete lack of humidity over here in central Oregon, I bought a couple of portable evaporative coolers through Amazon for about $100 each. They ain't exactly an air conditioning miracle, but they do something. They add a bit of cooling and a bit of humidity at the same time. With those, and our ceiling fans running on a medium speed downdraft setting, we're surviving, but it's not real comfortable in the late afternoon, that's fer sure. I wish it would cool down below the 60's at night, that would make it easier to deal with. We keep the windows closed and the shades drawn during the day, then open the windows after the sun's gone down. 'Bout all we can do. In any case, Elder, I still think you're cool. :p Rick

It's been fricken cold here in MN, high today was 77, good day. We even broke the coldest high record on July 17th, go figure. Send it our way, my giant pumpkins need it!

Elderthewelder said:
well we broke a record here in Western Wa , it is officially 102 out, has been in the high 90's all week with no let up till Saturday. Keep in mind the majority of us here do not have A/C in our homes, hell I do not even have a fan, went to go buy one today and everyplace was sold out.

The thieves on C/L have their A/C units and fans marked up 200%. I am going to put my air mattress on my flatbed tonight and sleep outside and fight with the mosquito's, better than 110 degree bedroom. we are hotter than the majority of the country and this is Seattle, have not seen rain for quite some time

On a positive not, my wood stacks are seasoning well, cant wait for October

A few years ago, I travelled to Oregon to climb Mt Hood, and on our way out, we got a cheap hotel near the airport in Portland, while they were going on a heatwave, it was something like 105degs and the air conditioner was on the fritz there and it was miserable. Felt like climbing Mt Hood again to drop the temperature a bit. But I found out it was an unusual occurance, although it sounds like you guys are going through another round..

Jay

I was in CA last week about 30 miles north of LA on a trip. It got to 102 on one day and close to 100 the other days. I'm from the Northeast where we have not even hit 90 degrees this summer.

Don't want to rub salt in your wounds, but it was 53F last night here. I had to put a jacket on this am to feed the calves. It's been soo cold here this summer the soybeans just aren't growing. Some of my beans in 15" rows still haven't closed in the row, and tomorrow is Aug 1st!

You folks in the the northwest are gettin a taste of a northeast summer! Feels good don't it?? Heck it's been between 85 and 95 for the past few weeks here with 90% humidity.

And you midwest folks have it good right now. My cousin's in Wyoming said it's been in the 60's all week!

Weird how the Northeast and Northwest have just completely swapped weather patterns this year. We haven't hit 90 yet in thesummer (thought we had low 90's and no rain for alot of April oddly enough) and its been raining at least every other day. We're dealing with 100 year flood plain issues this summer around here and its really starting to get on my nerves. To hilly for us to have issues like we saw last year int he midwest, but we're still getting some significant flooding in areas that have not flooded in my parent's lifetime. Gald I live on a big ass hill.

I want my weather back...I can't get enough of a break in the rain for my lawn to dry and get it cut and I've got 20+ coming for dinner on Sunday.

fossil said:
complete lack of humidity portable evaporative coolers

Your summer is like our last 3 were. I too got a portable evap. cooler at Ace and 3 Vornado fans that kept things tolerable.

This summer we are getting your normal weather - rain almost every day and humidity. (In Colorado our humidity is usually less than what it is in the Sahara desert.)

Evap. coolers will not work if the humidity is too high. Just adds more hot wet air into your house. :-S

At least you are getting well seasoned wood. Mine was pretty dry back in March and I am hoping for a drier Aug. and Sept. to dry up all the moisture that has been dumped on it.

I never worried about the rain/moisture/humidity in the summer until I began burning wood. Heck - I used to love our afternoon thunderstorms. Saved a small fortune in our water bill.

Things change. Hang in there.

perplexed said:
fossil said:

Your summer is like our last 3 were. I too got a portable evap. cooler at Ace and 3 Vornado fans that kept things tolerable.

This summer we are getting your normal weather - rain almost every day and humidity. (In Colorado our humidity is usually less than what it is in the Sahara desert.)

Evap. coolers will not work if the humidity is too high. Just adds more hot wet air into your house. :-S

At least you are getting well seasoned wood. Mine was pretty dry back in March and I am hoping for a drier Aug. and Sept. to dry up all the moisture that has been dumped on it.

I never worried about the rain/moisture/humidity in the summer until I began burning wood. Heck - I used to love our afternoon thunderstorms. Saved a small fortune in our water bill.

You're confusing central Oregon with the stereotypical impression of "the Northwest" (i.e. Seattle). Where I live, I'm east of the Cascade Range, so in a big rain shadow. It's dry, high (~3500') desert country. Basalt, sagebrush, and Junipers. Very low humidity (summertime days typically well below 20%) and relatively little precipitation is our normal climate. It reminds me of when I lived in Albuquerque. The thing about this year is simply that right now we're experiencing a period of temperatures about 20°F higher than historical averages, and that gets tough to deal with when it stretches out into more than a few days. I know all about swamp coolers...they were (still are) ubiquitous all through the southwest. Perfect for here, too...but I seem to be the only one who believes that. All the local stores carry mechanical refrigeration units (power hogs), but no evaporative coolers. One salesman told me it's because so many people have moved here from other places and find the electric rates so low and just don't know any better, that the A/C's are all they want to buy. You can have fun comparing different locations' averages & historical maximums/minimums at this page of TWC:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trav...y/graph/USOR0031?from=36hr_bottomnav_business

The highest temperature ever recorded in Bend was 104°F in July of 1939. We just might bust that this week. We're hangin' in here. (Actually goin' out to the coast for a week...it's in the 70's at the Oregon beaches). Rick

fossil said:
perplexed said:
fossil said:

You're confusing central Oregon with the stereotypical impression of "the Northwest" (i.e. Seattle).

Did my quote thing wrong. Was responding to Elderthewelder and cut some of your info. for my comment which was aimed at Seattle (Pacific northwest area).

Here, here on the swamp coolers (That's what we call them here.) When I moved here 20+ years ago coolers weren't needed. Temps. were cooler and afternoon thunderstorms always cooled our evenings off. Temps. have been on the rise and more people are installing them on their roofs. Me, I personally do not feel comfortable with a tank of water sitting on my roof with an unlimited amount of water attached to it. Gives me drywall, falling ceiling nightmares. :ahhh:

I installed an attic fan and got a portable cooler plus the Vornados and my ceiling fans and I sleep much better. Biggest flood my cooler can create is 5 gallons of water.

Ah you westerners don't know what humid is. What is humid to you, is dry to us here on the east coast.
I was amazed when I visited Colorado, even at 116 out, if I sat in the shade I didnt break a sweat.
Here, even in 60's, 70's & 80 degree temps, with a high dewpoint & humidity, it gets damn thick. And sweat just pours down.
You have you swamp coolers,m we have A/C. ;)

Hogwildz said:
Ah you westerners don't know what humid is. What is humid to you, is dry to us here on the east coast.
I was amazed when I visited Colorado, even at 116 out, if I sat in the shade I didnt break a sweat.
Here, even in 60's, 70's & 80 degree temps, with a high dewpoint & humidity, it gets damn thick. And sweat just pours down.

Oh, but I do understand, Hog, I really do. Lived in Northern Virginia (Fairfax) for 12 years before coming back out west where I belong in '07. Had two A/C units serving the Virginia house. Just the volume of condensate produced was amazing. Couldn't live there without the A/C. Out here, in a normal year, we don't need any sort of cooling beyond the normal diurnal temperature swings. Humidity is never a problem. But heat surely can be. This year ain't a normal year...too hot! Rick

Hogwildz said:

LOL !!!

The Dixette was in AZ last year.... border patrol for her 2 weeks AG commitment. She loved it !! Said with no humidity, it was awesome !!

It's 76 here right now, and humid as all get out... I have the AC's on to get rid of the moisture in the house. They are on "economy",and I have a dehumidiefer running in the basement.

:-S

Hogwildz said:
Ah you westerners don't know what humid is. )

Ah, I grew up in San Francisco.. I didn't know what the sun was for the first 23 years of my life. I thought raincoats were year round items and that grey skies meant it was day time.

Came to Colorado to house sit for my cousin, discovered the sun, experienced blue skies for 360 days of the year, traded my raincoat in for a down parka and I fell in love with 'dry'.

The only regular humidity I get now is in our bathroom after one of the teenagers has taken a shower.

Don't know how you all can function in all that wet stuff.

I enjoyed my couple of years in Las Vegas. So much sun, beautiful sunsets every day. The current heat wave here is still about 9 degrees lower than a normal summer there. The worst part was the shock from going in and out of over-air conditioned buildings. I'm surprised to see Bend's record is only 104. Altitude, I guess?

I can't even imagine low humidity! near the ocean and in the middle of "the summer than never was", we received over an inch of rain yesterday afternoon. I don't know how much more water the soil can hold, to tell the truth. We haven't cracked 90 once this year and 80s have been few and far between, too.

I meant to remake the awings for the house this year and haven't had time but this year it hasn't been all that important. There simply hasn't been enough sun for it to matter! Though the canopy over the deck and the zip on screen panels have saved our bacon in what's turned out to be a banner season for mosquitios. Ugh.

Maybe the fall will turn out to be long, mild, and everything summer hasn't been!

Status
Not open for further replies.