It's pouring rain, and I am like a caged cat.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MTY

Feeling the Heat
Jan 9, 2019
Idaho
I had to stay home today. The spousal unit had an appointment, and someone had to take care of the critters. I have vac'd. mopped, cleaned counter tops, straightened out the shop, taken care of the critters, and done everything else I can think of. I am not going to make it in retirement, which is supposed to be the first week in March.

I hauled concrete forms up to the new place yesterday. Tomorrow I have to make arrangements for lumber. Building the 40X40 shop will keep me busy for a while, and I have 1000 seedlings coming in April, but how am I supposed to stretch this out for years? My cohort group is mostly content to relax and enjoy life. I'm too wired.

I eat more than 5 normal people, and yesterday during my annual physical I had a BMI of 21. The only fault was my cholesterol was a little above the range, but it has been that way for the last 40 years. The doc suggested eating smaller portions. I'd starve.

Last March, I had to quit working out as a full time job and building the house left me little time to recover. Today I moved all the stuff around the equipment, so at least I will be able to work off the excess energy. I cannot wait for spring. Right now it is too wet to start the dirt work for the shop.

Sounds a lot like me. Always doing something, eat enough to feed a small family, thin as a pole. I have a to do list so long, I don't seem to be making progress. That's how I keep myself busy.

Age and injuries will help. Like pees and carrots
Yes, that is the first thing that has really slowed me down. Started last July and my knee still isn't right. My pees are still fine, thank you very much. :p

Sounds a lot like me. Always doing something, eat enough to feed a small family, thin as a pole. I have a to do list so long, I don't seem to be making progress. That's how I keep myself busy.

Retirement is still at least 20 years away for me, but my to do list never gets done - items on that list get done, but the list is like a snake that sheds its skin and comes back out all new and shiny. And I like it that way.
And if there is no more thing to do, I'll scrounge some wood and split it >>

Reactions: Gearhead660
Since I had dug the bench out earlier today, I went to the shop and lifted fairly light tonight. Within two weeks I should be able to hit it fairly hard. lots of reps and not so much weight. I'd rather have endurance than bulk. The first part of March I will move the bench to the new house so I can lift while up there building the shop.

There is an old railroad bed a couple of miles from the new house. It has been paved. I am looking forward to riding my bike again. I pedaled to work for about 8 years before I retired from that job in 2007.

After lifting I chucked a 6MM PacNor 1 in 8, #3 contour barrel in the lathe. It is one from before they burned. Building the house slowed this project way down. I'll screw it into a 700 action. I'll try to cut threads one night and ream another. I just have to get it done before the new shop, as I have to move the equipment to the new shop. This may be Greek to some of you.

Retirement is still at least 20 years away for me, but my to do list never gets done - items on that list get done, but the list is like a snake that sheds its skin and comes back out all new and shiny. And I like it that way.
And if there is no more thing to do, I'll scrounge some wood and split it >>
Same here. Trying to retire earlier than the average.