Its Time To Pickup The Garn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hedge wood

Feeling the Heat
Mar 1, 2009
Eastern NE
Heading out Thursday late afternoon for the seven hour drive to pickup the Garn. Have made the appointment to pickup it up Friday morning.

Take pictures.....lot's of pictures.....

Well we made it back from picking the Garn up. Trip went well no problem finding them had no problem loading or hauling the Garn.Lots of road construction and heavy rain on the way back today. We did take lots of pictures just need to figure out how to post the pictures. Its nice to have it here in the shed on the trailer. Now it time to get the concrete poured to set it on in the shed,Garn barn and decide on spray foam the pex to the house or use the microflex I think spray will be better and cheaper but the last time we had some spray foam done it was hard to get a contractor out here to do it. Any one spray foamed the outside of the Garn when they in closed it?

hedge wood said:
Well we made it back from picking the Garn up. Trip went well no problem finding them had no problem loading or hauling the Garn.Lots of road construction and heavy rain on the way back today. We did take lots of pictures just need to figure out how to post the pictures. Its nice to have it here in the shed on the trailer. Now it time to get the concrete poured to set it on in the shed,Garn barn and decide on spray foam the pex to the house or use the microflex I think spray will be better and cheaper but the last time we had some spray foam done it was hard to get a contractor out here to do it. Any one spray foamed the outside of the Garn when they in closed it?

Glad the trip went well, may the rest of the install do likewise... If you look at the top of most (If not all) the area topic lists you will see a sticky on how to prep pictures for uploading to the board - I find that 640x480 JPG's seem to work pretty well, you can usually get 2-3 pix per post in and they are a size that works well, big enough to see, but doesn't overload your browser. Just keep replying to yourself to keep getting more messages to put photos in... Note that if you want to put more than one photo in a message, you MUST hit the "Preview Post" button after uploading each one - you will only see the file name listed, not the picture, but you will then be able to choose another file. The "Max Size" number will also change after each upload to tell you how much space you have left available out of the total limit for the message.

Another option that can be a bit less work is to use one of the photo hosting services (I use Photobucket). Upload the photos there, and just give us a link to that page...

As to sprayfoaming the Garn - not sure, but I think that won't work - IIRC previous discussions, the sprayfoam has a lower temperature limit than what that tank surface will reach. It may be possible to put on some layers of other insulation (fiberglass?) to take care of some of the heat and then sprayfoam the outside, but I'm not sure. Hopefully some of the other Garn experts will be able to give you a better answer.

Gooserider

Hedge - glad to hear the trip went well. It is a big beastie to haul down the road!

Goose's comments on the temp limits of spray foam merit some discussion with your spray foam contractor. However, the outside surface of the GARN will be no higher (actually slightly less) than the temperature of the water, with the exception of the front wall around the air collar and the rear wall near the flue discharge. I see no problem in spray foam insulation for the side walls/top of the unit, and in fact I wish I had done that to mine. If it is a concern, wrap it with some FG batt and then spray over the batts. I would not spray foam either end, just insulate it with FG batt or similar. That way you can get to the fittings and connectios with ease.

Keep us posted.

I wish I could say the same, hedge. Hopefully making the final push on planting this week. Then I'm outta here for my Garn as well. Good luck.

Jim what's FG batt?

[quote author="emesine" date="1243289472"]What does a garn usually cost?
What does that beast (the 2000) weigh?

It will eat up every bit of $15,000 for the 2000 model. The book says the empty weight is 3900 lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.