jonsered 2188

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kattpound

May 17, 2011
N.W. OHIO
I found a used 2188 w/ a new 24" bar and chain for $450 may be able to talk him down to 400. Just wondered if this is a good price. I ran this saw last year with a 42" bar and it chewed through everything I threw at it.

Reactions: ScotO
Seems like a good deal. Especially if you have already ran it and know the owner?

Wanna sell it? ? LOL

J/k..... Good luck. Thats a Big Saw for a little price.

I bought a new 460 not to long ago and a new 660 went on CL for $750 w/ extras.. Day late and a Dollar short...

Johnnies are great saws......that's not a bad price either. Go for it!

Buying a used 2 cycle tool like a chainsaw has some risks. It could be a good deal or it could end up costing you. I've bought mostly used saws but I have always known the seller. I know guys that won't buy any used saw without pulling the muffler, doing case vac/pressure test and compression test.

Buying a used 2 cycle tool like a chainsaw has some risks. It could be a good deal or it could end up costing you. I've bought mostly used saws but I have always known the seller. I know guys that won't buy any used saw without pulling the muffler, doing case vac/pressure test and compression test.

That would be a very forgiving seller to let you disassemble a saw for all that!

I've bought almost EVERY chainsaw I've ever owned used and non-running. That way I can start from scratch and build the saw myself, then I KNOW what I have.

That would be a very forgiving seller to let you disassemble a saw for all that!
If you know the saw your buying it would take all of 15mins to do those tests. Case in point is I have a 5100 at the house right now that came here with a lousy idle. Turns out it spun the PTO bearing. Knowing they are somewhat prone to that buying a used one without checking it out is risky. I'm sure his saw ran fine for awhile before it got real bad. Unsuspecting buyer could easily buy a saw like that thinking it was just fine. So either check it out or get a real good deal on a parts saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.