Jonsered chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

duramaxman05

Minister of Fire
Aug 17, 2014
Perryville, Mo
I was talking to my father in law this past weekend and he cuts timber. He said he was going to order a couple new jonsered chainsaws. He called 3 different places that he usually deals with and they said they can't get them anymore. So he finally found a place to get one, a 2166, and he ends up getting a red max saw. He said everything looks the same on the redmax compared to jonsered. So I was wondering if one or the other bought each other out? Also, the jonsereds are pretty much a husqvarna. I dont see husquvarna getting bought out.

I think the local shop told me that the RedMax was just another line of Jonsereds . . . or was the new name change they were going with . . . I cannot remember what he said exactly.

I just looked on bailey's website. Jonsered 2172 is no longer available. So I guess some of the redmax's took over the jonsered name.

Long time Jonsered fan here since before Husqvarna involvement and before Electrolux involvement. Fan since the 1970s when it was Jonsered.

Got a few Johnies. The 2166 is an Xtorq Husky 365 identical saw except for red and except for the angle of the handle. Excellent saws at under $600. Pro saw all the way. As for red max. They are a landscape company. The saws are rebadged Husky saws just like Jonsered saws are rebadged Husky saws. And Husky pro saws are as good as they get. I like them better than any other brand saw.

Reactions: duramaxman05
I just looked on bailey's website. Jonsered 2172 is no longer available. So I guess some of the redmax's took over the jonsered name.

Plenty of new 2172 available in local dealer channels. Have u called around ? A 2172 is a Husky 372 and with Jonsered being discontinued you could strike a deal check your local dealers

Interesting:

Jonsered USA website now lists only five gas powered chainsaws, with the CS2255 being the largest.

The larger saws are on the Redmax USA website.

I did just buy a brand new 2172 with 24" bar for $600. Guy need money. My father in law check 2 different places locally and they said they can no longer get the jonsered. He was able to find 1 2172 and had to order it and he bought the new red max gz7100. I think it is. Look like a jonsered with different decals.

Interesting:

Jonsered USA website now lists only five gas powered chainsaws, with the CS2255 being the largest.

The larger saws are on the Redmax USA website.

Jonsered is going the way of the dinosaurs. They will become another great pro saw company that couldn’t make it in today’s market. I think they will continue to sell the homeowner models in box stores for a little while but the pro saws are being dropped. Looks like Husky is trying to build up Redmax as not only a landscape company with blowers and weed whips but a saw company. Sadly I have doubts and I’m pretty sure Stihl will continue to dominate in the homeowner market and Stihl will have to continue to share the pro market with Husky.

Side note Jreds are Husky’s so there should be NO issues with getting parts hopefully everything that matters shares a part with a Husky. I mean things like engine parts and stuff should hopefully be available for a long time. Not sure on red plastics though. Just can’t say for sure

I love Stihl saws. I love Husky Jonsered more. My concern is as Stihl continues to grab more market share their quality will drop. I have a new Stihl 661 Mtronic. I’ve had more small issues under warranty with that saw than any other saw I have ever purchased over the last 30 years. Why is that ? My 2 older stihls ( 031 and 056 ) are bullet proof. My Jonsereds which include true Johnnies, An Electrolux years Johnny, and a modern Husqvarna years Johnny have been bullet proof. My 661 poor fit and finish poor quality sure awesome power awesome saw to run but always having Mtronic issues, broken AV Spring ( twice ) bar stud failure, I could go on

Last edited:
Jonsered is going the way of the dinosaurs. They will become another great pro saw company that couldn’t make it in today’s market. I think they will continue to sell the homeowner models in box stores for a little while but the pro saws are being dropped. Looks like Husky is trying to build up Redmax as not only a landscape company with blowers and weed whips but a saw company. Sadly I have doubts and I’m pretty sure Stihl will continue to dominate in the homeowner market and Stihl will have to continue to share the pro market with Husky.

Side note Jreds are Husky’s so there should be NO issues with getting parts hopefully everything that matters shares a part with a Husky. I mean things like engine parts and stuff should hopefully be available for a long time. Not sure on red plastics though. Just can’t say for sure

I love Stihl saws. I love Husky Jonsered more. My concern is as Stihl continues to grab more market share their quality will drop. I have a new Stihl 661 Mtronic. I’ve had more small issues under warranty with that saw than any other saw I have ever purchased over the last 30 years. Why is that ? My 2 older stihls ( 031 and 056 ) are bullet proof. My Jonsereds which include true Johnnies, An Electrolux years Johnny, and a modern Husqvarna years Johnny have been bullet proof. My 661 poor fit and finish poor quality sure awesome power awesome saw to run but always having Mtronic issues, broken AV Spring ( twice ) bar stud failure, I could go on
I saw the writing on the wall and bought all new Stihl saws (pre 1 series ) before it was to late....love my 660...nary a issue with it...FWIW...my bud logs for a living and runs a 461 and 661 and has had no trouble with either...runs them till he wears them out and does 1 rebuild and then gets another one...this man cuts for real.

It sounds like the older saws are better quality than the new ones. I inherited a CS2238 from my father in law when he retired. I replaced the carburetor and the bar and bought a few new chains. I liked it so much that I sold my Stihl ms290. I was planning to use the money to buy a smaller Jonsered. I ordered one online from Tractor Supply because the price was lower than the local shop but it would not start. I talked to a local dealer and told him about my problem with the new saw. He said that some saws labeled as Jonsered are not manufactured in the same factories and that he has seen problems with low quality carburetors on some new saws. He told me that he sells more Tanakas because they have a seven year warranty. He implied that there were some problems with Jonsered and that some of the new saws are not made to the same standard as the older saws. So I bought the Tanaka over the Jonsered.

My Stihl dealer who also sells/sold Jonsered told me Jonesered is being replaced by Redmax and he’s going to stop carrying them. He also orders as many non Mtronic Stihls as he can, as he’s seen a lot of issues with the mtronic saws.

I was talking to my father in law this past weekend and he cuts timber. He said he was going to order a couple new jonsered chainsaws. He called 3 different places that he usually deals with and they said they can't get them anymore. So he finally found a place to get one, a 2166, and he ends up getting a red max saw. He said everything looks the same on the redmax compared to jonsered. So I was wondering if one or the other bought each other out? Also, the jonsereds are pretty much a husqvarna. I dont see husquvarna getting bought out.

jonsered is owned by husqvarna. jonsered is just a brand name now

jonsered is owned by husqvarna. jonsered is just a brand name now
I think redmax owns jonsered now. So I wander if husqvarna is affiliated with redmax. A couple of redmax saws are rebrands jonsered.

Husqvarna Is a huge corporation. They seem to have taken a play book from MTD/Briggs & Stratton and buy companies just to cheapen them up to make more money from them. My nephew works for Ferris mowers, the first thing briggs said when they bought them was "How can we make them cheaper". Personally I have never been a husky fan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husqvarna_Group

Last edited:
Husqvarna Is a huge corporation. They seem to have taken a play book from MTD/Briggs & Stratton and buy companies just to cheapen them up to make more money from them. My nephew works for Ferris mowers, the first thing briggs said when they bought them was "How can we make them cheaper". Personally I have never been a husky fan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husqvarna_Group

Husqvarna already has the cheap/entry level chainsaw covered in their Poulan brand. While a couple low end Poulan, Husqvarna, and Jonsered saws are internally the same, it used to be that you had to go to Husqvarna/Jonsered for their high end/pro saws.

Jonsered now tops out with a 55cc midlevel saw (Husqvarna Rancher clone). Jump to Husqvarna/Redmax for higher end/pro saws.

Husqvarna and Jonsered are very popular in my area and go head to head with Stihl with the local pros , tree service guys, and the few logging outfits still around. It’s common to see vintage Jonsered signs still hanging on power equipment dealers buildings. I’ve been a Husky and Jonsered fan for years.

Husky ( until last fall ) kept the Jonsered brand as a dealer only brand ( except for tractor supply ) and there was a whole lineup of pro saws. I’m sure sales were not growing as expected but as it’s been said in this post the Jonsered brand has been reduced to box store homeowner saws, snow blowers, weed whips etc.

The redmax brand ( also owned by Husky ) is very popular with landscapers and lawn care in some areas ( blowers and weed whips ). But no one thinks of Redmax as a saw company. I can’t imagine pro redmax saws are going to sell very well. The landscape companies that use redmax blowers might buy redmax saws if they have a good dealer but they are buying 50cc or smaller trimming saws. Not big saws for logging or tree work. I can’t see the large pro redmax saws selling that well.

Around here there are a couple Jonsered dealers that sell a lot of pro Johnnies to firewood cutters, tree service guys, farmers , etc because they have been established in the communities for decades as reputable saw shops. Now they don’t have a pro saw to sell. They can’t pick up Stihl because there are already dealers within a few miles. I suppose they could carry Husky saws ? Or Echo ? Makita Dolmar ?

My CS2238 I bought 2 years ago is kickin fine... didn't use it much last year but it started without a problem and I cut down some small weed trees next to the house last month. No concerns with it.