Jotul 450 Kennebec in ZC box?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thetwood

Hearth Supporter
Oct 25, 2007
Colorado
I've used the search and read many a post, but am still a little confused. We have a ~1980 Heatilator wood-burning fireplace (Mark 123, model 3138EP). I would consider this a factory-built fireplace, since it's a one-piece metal unit. The fan no longer works and it doesn't put out any heat.

I found a good deal on a Jotul 450 Kennebec from a local dealer. The Manual for this has an area for install into a 'factory-built fireplace', as long as it's UL listed. How do I determine if my current fireplace meets these standards? I can see on it that it is UL listed, but don't can't see if it's UL 127. The rep at the dealer says that this unit cannot be put into a 'metal fireplace', end of story. I'm hoping that someone here knows more than I (and possibly the rep at the dealer).

Matt

that is the safe bet it cant go in to that fireplace the box is not really the issue it is the chimney i would agree with your dealer.

thetwood said:
I've used the search and read many a post, but am still a little confused. We have a ~1980 Heatilator wood-burning fireplace (Mark 123, model 3138EP). I would consider this a factory-built fireplace, since it's a one-piece metal unit. The fan no longer works and it doesn't put out any heat.

I found a good deal on a Jotul 450 Kennebec from a local dealer. The Manual for this has an area for install into a 'factory-built fireplace', as long as it's UL listed. How do I determine if my current fireplace meets these standards? I can see on it that it is UL listed, but don't can't see if it's UL 127. The rep at the dealer says that this unit cannot be put into a 'metal fireplace', end of story. I'm hoping that someone here knows more than I (and possibly the rep at the dealer).

Matt

Is it a zero-clearance unit, or a "heat form"? - As I understand it, heatforms are no problem. Generally there will be only standard, or set of standards for a given type of appliance to meet in order to get a UL listing, so if you see a UL label, it probably meets UL 127 since that's the relevant standard. At any rate, if you have an ID on the make and model of fireplace it should be possible to look up the listing and see what the specifics are on it.

I would show the dealer rep the relevant manual pages, and ask why he thinks it won't fit into YOUR unit...

Gooserider

I was dealing with UL regarding an old Preway, trying to put an insert in it. The tag did say it was UL listed but not what number. UL told me (based on the year I gave them) since it was UL listed it had to be 127, that was the only listing that would apply. Unless the MFG had it listed as a toaster oven? If the insert (or stove?) you are looking at says in the manual it can be installed into a ZC prefab fireplace... then I don't see why a dealer would say you can't. I have a made a few posts recently about what needs to be done (or not done) in order to put an insert into a ZC unit and keep it legit and safe. I will see if I can find one.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/9323/#108413

Status
Not open for further replies.