Jotul 602-

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jstickley

Jan 27, 2023
Virginia
Hi,
I got a new 602 this month and the glass on the door slides back and fourth, I wouldn't think this is normal, does anyone know?

Thanks,
John Stickley
Richmond, Va

I could move mine back and forth as well but it wasn’t super loose and didn’t seem to leak.

I could move mine back and forth as well but it wasn’t super loose and didn’t seem to leak.
Ok, yeah mine doesn't seem to leak, and thanks. And like an idiot I put a steel kettle with water on my new one and now have some spots. All my wife said- "I'm glad it wasn't me that did it"... LoL I'm so bummed. I've read things where people said try this or that but I think I'll leave it alone unless someone knows what Jotul has said about getting rid of it?

Reactions: Todd
The glass floats against the gasket. If there is too much tension on the glass clamps it will crack. Too little tension and it might leak. As long as there is no sign of leakage, it's best to let it be. If tightening, do it in baby steps, like no more than an eighth of a turn of the screw.

The stain can be cleaned up with steel wool. Worst case, it can be repainted if this is a black stove.

F602 glass is notorious for being just a little “loose”.
Its just the design of the glass, and how its open on the top for the airwash system.

Just hand tighten the 4 screws and if they are tight and the small gasket around the glass is all intact, then you should be ok.

Glass screws always need to be checked and re hand tightened after new gaskets are installed. You check them after 1 week of burning with the new gaskets.

1942BC9B-921C-48D8-A479-00DCABD5F8B6.jpeg

F602 glass is notorious for being just a little “loose”.
Its just the design of the glass, and how its open on the top for the airwash system.

Just hand tighten the 4 screws and if they are tight and the small gasket around the glass is all intact, then you should be ok.

Glass screws always need to be checked and re hand tightened after new gaskets are installed. You check them after 1 week of burning with the new gaskets.

View attachment 309626
Thanks

One more question: what is the best insulation (I know fireproof hi heat content) to stuff up around pipe going up my chimney from stove sitting in fireplace, since damper removed? There is a plate and cap on top, but my assumption is that what heat I can keep down in room the better, than letting it go up around liner to top plate over my terecotta and hope it works back down which it won't.

Kaowool or Roxul should be used, but that will still pass some warm room air. Use a block-off plate below the insulation.

Reactions: jstickley
Kaowool or Roxul should be used, but that will still pass some warm room air. Use a block-off plate below the insulation.
That's what I have been trying to tell these dimwits in Richmond, Va that needs done. I built my own the last time, guess I'll have to do it again.

Reactions: EbS-P