Jotul F 500 Alcove Install - Sanity Check

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately my wife does not want the stove "way out in the room" :(
I understand...unhappy wife.....unhappy life. well, you at least have a little time to persuade her and possibly win her over.

Nice work! I wish I my project could be that "easy" (I know it wasn't easy). My chase isn't brick and I don't want to have to re-do all the stone veneer around b
Matt, Is the existing fireplace a 0 clearance? And the chase a wood framed box for the flue. If so, I don't think you have enough clearance to combustibles, just a guess.

Maybe consider removing the hearth in front along the grout lines down to floor level. Then rebuild the center with a floor level hearth. That way a freestander could be in front and rear-vented into a liner. That would be more like your second picture. Consider the Jotul F55 for this application, front loading, rear vented.

Reactions: tcassavaugh
Nice work! I wish I my project could be that "easy" (I know it wasn't easy). My chase isn't brick and I don't want to have to re-do all the stone veneer around b

Buddy of mine had a very similar problem... I don't have any pics, and he is in the 'stan right now.. but when he gets back I will try to get him to post some, but what he/we did was to open his vinyl sided chase from the OUTSIDE, gutted from the inside out, re-framed with steel, insulated, hardy boarded the exterior, put the vinyl siding back on. With a rear heat shield he needed 6" to combustibles, ended up with almost 12..

Status
Not open for further replies.