Jotul F3CB clearance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2010
Northern BC
I installed a F3 CB in my fireplace a couple years ago. I have been really happy with it and it continues to heat our upstairs all winter long with no issues. But I have been wondering about something for a little while: do clearances to non-combustible surfaces (it is installed in the firebox of the fireplace) still a concern? That is are there any safety concerns with not having the clearances being maintained despite being inside a fireplace alcove? The manual seems a little vague with regards to fireplace installation but I see you can get a short leg kit for fireplace installs. Thanks for any advice or help. I had a thread on here regarding my install a couple years ago with pictures but not sure how to reference it in this post.

ok so just re-read the manual and my interpretation is that as long as the fireplace opening is 28 1/4" high (it is more than that) and clearances to combustibles are maintained (mantel, trim, etc - they are) close rear clearance (>1") is ok provided it is a non-combustible wall behind the stove. So I am thinking I am okay.....

Clearances are to the nearest combustible surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.