Jotul f400 owners- need height measurement prior to purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HillStreetChickens

Sep 29, 2022
MA
Guys, in a weird situation and in need of an f400 owner to provide a measurement. Need the height from floor or to the underside of the ash pan of a stove sitting either on the short legs or the long legs. If you can, please give me a dimension from the bottom of the ash pan to the top of the stove.

Long story. Checking ahead of driving for two hours to go check out a stove. Thank you!

I’ll measure tomorrow. Guessing 1-1.5”

Let’s call it an inch. There are standoffs for the bottom heat shield on the bottom of the ashpan. The door is the lowest point in the front.

I’m guessing you are think about removing legs or cutting them down?

If this is an external chimney there will be better options. A lot of her comes off the top of the stove. I’m guessing more than 50%. With so little space you can’t get enough air to cool the top. You really need 2” clearance for it to be a decent heater.

If it’s an external chimney a lot of heat will just go to heat outside. I’m not saying it can’t work. But it Will absolutely need a blower and block off plate. Lastly the shallow firebox spills smoke if it’s rear vented. Just FYI. You can rear vent but top is better.

Last point I’m not sure I could balance on just the ashpan because of the standoffs.

DF04289F-3655-4E73-92EF-DADC559F5191.jpeg 9306FFA4-32FB-4422-8E68-695CAD6E059B.jpeg DF363931-43D3-4085-967C-B85A4802803E.jpeg

Let’s call it an inch. There are standoffs for the bottom heat shield on the bottom of the ashpan. The door is the lowest point in the front.

I’m guessing you are think about removing legs or cutting them down?

If this is an external chimney there will be better options. A lot of her comes off the top of the stove. I’m guessing more than 50%. With so little space you can’t get enough air to cool the top. You really need 2” clearance for it to be a decent heater.

If it’s an external chimney a lot of heat will just go to heat outside. I’m not saying it can’t work. But it Will absolutely need a blower and block off plate. Lastly the shallow firebox spills smoke if it’s rear vented. Just FYI. You can rear vent but top is better.

Last point I’m not sure I could balance on just the ashpan because of the standoffs.

View attachment 305104 View attachment 305105 View attachment 305106
I have a block off plate and a liner installed in a straight run of masonry chimney. Minimal clearance between the masonry on the bottom and top of the fireplace is 26”. Looks like it’s not going to work.